Chapter 10: Chloe

"Mom, I'm home!" I shout, as I step into the house, my heavy backpack weighing me down. There was Mom, standing in front of me, hands on her hips.

"Chloe Murray," she says in a stern tone, "why weren't you in AP History class?"

Oh. Crap. I could feel my stomach drop and my mouth run dry. I need an excuse!

"I," I started, and groaned like I was devestated. "had a friend crisis," Technically, this was true. "you see, Amberlynn was really upset," ok that part was a lie, but whatever. "and I was just trying to be a good friend and be there for her!" I bite my lip, hoping she'll believe me. She sighed, stared at me, and tapped her long fingernails on her arm. Probably trying to decide if I'm telling the truth or not.

"So you were helping a friend?" She asks, and I know exactly what's she's going to do. Ask about facts that I said, and wait for me to slip up and make a mistake.

"Yes, Amberlynn," I nodd, and try to look innocent.

"What was Amberlynn upset about?"

"Her friends," I dont miss a beat saying this. Now I'm lying, but she can't know I skipped school and went shopping.

"What about her friends?" Mom started to speak faster.

"She was worried that they aren't real friends."

"Where did you comfort Amberlynn during second period?"

"It wasn't second period, it was first. And I comforted her in the bathroom," I smirk. Mom rasies a single eyebrow, and continued to shoot out more questions as fast as I could answer them.

"Why didn't you tell the teacher what was going on?"

"I didn't have time. Amberlynn ran off, and I had to catch up to her."

"So you only went into the bathroom? And comforted her up until the next bell rung?"

"Yes." Mom sighs, and relaxes.

"Ok, ok. Fine," she says, "you win. I believe you,"

"Thanks Mom, I'm sorry I missed first period. I needed to help Amberlynn," I reply, relieved. I reach up to give Mom a quick hug, and as I do, I feel my backpack fall off my shoulders. I guess it wasn't zipped up all the way, because, as I watched in horror, all its contents spilled out as it hits the ground. Including a shopping bag. With my new outfit in it. Mom immediately picks up the bag and takes out the receipt.

"Let's see... you just so happened to be shopping today, during first period, while you were comforting Amberlynn?" Mom asks, with a disapproving stare. I give up.

"I'm sorry Mom! I skipped! I skipped with Amberlynn! She took me shopping! I swear, it won't happened again!" My voice cracks as I beg for forgiveness. I feel like such a sell-out but I already felt terrible about lying in the first place and I can't lie anymore.

"Chloe, that's a horrible thing to do! Ever since you met this Amberlynn person, you've been nothing but trouble! You wouldn't normally ever do anything like that! I better not hear a single thing more about you being with this Amberlynn girl, you hear? And you're grounded for two weeks for skipping school! I am very disappointed in you!" Mom shakes her head and walks into her bedroom, shutting the door softly. My breath becomes shakey as my wobbly feet as I make my way back into my bed, and collapse onto my bed. I feel horrible about betraying Mom right now. But that's not going to stop me from going on that date. Not Mom, not anything.

"Honey?" Mom calls, creaking my door open after about an hour of my furious scheming of ways I can sneak out. I look up, and glare at her.

"What?" I snap. Her eyes go soft, and she shifts nervously as she hands the phone to me.