Chapter 11

I can barely believe my eyes so I just stand there staring. Elisha is cheating on Sam with Justin? My heart thumps in my chest as I worry about what Sam will do. He just stands there, like me, too stunned to do anything. Justin and Elisha still haven’t noticed us and carry on. It’s only when Justin starts to pull at Elisha’s top that Sam reacts. 

“Hey! Get off my girlfriend!” he roars, causing the two of them to fly apart. He strides towards them, menacingly. 

“Woah, dude! It’s not how it looks…” Justin tries to cover for himself but Sam walks up to him and punches him across the face. I gasp as blood flows from Justin’s nose onto the grass. 

“I can’t believe you! Both of you!” Sam shouts at them. He turns on Elisha. “Why would you do this to me? Why would you just humiliate me like this?” She shakes her head and starts to cry. 

“I’m sorry! I didn’t know what I was doing! I was just-”

“Didn’t know what you were doing?!” Sam screams at her. It really pains me to see him so hurt but Elisha deserves all she gets. “You certainly looked like you knew what you were doing!” 

“I was stupid! I’ve made a stupid mistake!” she weeps, trying to look like the victim in all this. “Please forgive me! I promise it will never happen again!” 

“Forgive you? Forgive you?! How could I possibly forgive you?!” Sam shouts at her. She shakes her head as if she can’t believe what she’s hearing. 

“Are you breaking up with me?” she demands, not quite so innocently now. 

“You know, all along I was just being stupid. Melody told me that we weren’t right for each other and I didn’t believe her but now I see exactly what you are. You’re a fake, Elisha. I don’t know what I ever saw in you,” he says with disgust. My stomach lurches. He obviously doesn’t realise that he’s just told her that I had tried to break them up. And now she’s going to try to kill me. As I thought, she catches sight of me before I can escape and starts running after me. 

“This is your fault! Of course, this is all your fault! You stole my part in the musical and now you’ve stolen my boyfriend!” she screams as she chases me around the field. Unfortunately, the sandals I chose to wear today are not the best shoes for running away from an enraged cheerleader and she easily catches up with me and pushes me onto the ground. I land on the grass with a thud and she starts slapping me and trying to pull my hair. I slap back and scratch her arms with my nails. Well, here we are again. It’s a shame that about half my meetings with Sam end up with me getting slapped by his girlfriend - or ex-girlfriend. 

It doesn’t take long for the spectators to hear Elisha’s screams and Justin groaning in pain. Quite quickly, a small crowd gathers to watch Elisha beating me up as best she can and Sam beating up Justin quite effectively. Cassie reaches me at the same time as Ariel and Lyla reach Elisha and they break up the fight. 

“Oh my god, Melody are you alright?” Cassie helps me to my feet and looks at my slightly torn and grass-stained clothes. 

“I think so…” I say, trying to recover. My head hurts from all the hair-pulling. 

“Why was she trying to kill you?” she asks me, bewildered. Then she looks around and sees Justin being tended to with a first aid kit. “What happened to Justin? Did he finally fall into that pit of snakes?” she asks a little too eagerly. 

“No, unfortunately not,” I sigh with disappointment, “Elisha was cheating on Sam with Justin and… well, Sam punched him and Elisha, got pretty mad… and here we are.” Cassie gasps and looks rather pleased.