Chapter 9

It’s half past eleven but it feels as if the evening has only just begun. We’re all on a huge sugar rush from the vast quantity of sweets and chocolate we have eaten and my sides ache from laughing so hard. I was worried I might pee myself when Cassie and Sienna tried to reenact the spaghetti scene from ‘Lady and the Tramp’ using a strawberry lace instead of pasta. 

After Cassie and I have had a ‘dance-off’, judged by Sienna the pro, over who gets to eat the last chocolate (I won, of course), we all collapse on our bean-bags with exhaustion. We sit there for a few minutes, me and Cassie trying to get our breath back after exerting ourselves in the dance-off and Sienna trying to stop laughing - and mostly failing. Suddenly, Cassie jumps up, her eyes sparkling.

“I know what we should do now!” she announces. Sienna and I look at her eagerly. “We should play truth or dare! It’s not a sleepover if you don’t play truth or dare!” We position our bean bags in a circle and I am nominated to go first. I decide to be brave and pick dare. My two friends huddle in the corner to discuss what my challenge should be and, after careful consideration, rejoin me in the centre of the room. 

“Ok,” Sienna tries not to giggle as she tells me my dare, “We dare you to sing your favourite show-tune.” Well that’s not too bad. “And dance at the same time.” I think I can handle this. “And sing in a texan accent.” Umm...ok. “While dressed in five items from Cassie’s closet that we will pick.” Well now I’m scared. 

And so, wearing Cassie’s old bridesmaid dress, a pair of wellington boots, a poncho, a pair of tights wrapped around my head and a slipper on each hand, I begin to sing ‘Don’t Rain on my Parade’ from Funny Girl in my best southern accent whilst attempting to do ballet. 

“Don’t tell me not to live, just sit and putterrr, life’s candy and the sun’s a ball a butterrr!” I pirouette as I sing, causing the tights to flap about in my face. Cassie and Sienna cannot stop laughing as I finally belt out the final note in my texan drawl. 

“And that is how you sing a show-tune texan style!” I boast then burst out laughing with them. “I think it’s Cassie’s turn now!”

Once I have removed the interesting clothing and changed back into my pyjamas, we all sit together again for Cassie’s turn. 

“I’m scared of picking dare just in case Melody decides to get her revenge on me so I’ll go with truth,” she decides. Sienna and I choose our question and turn back to her. 

“Our question is: if you had to date someone from school who would it be?” I ask. Immediately she blushes. 

“Umm… I, uh, I don’t know… maybe, uh…” she stammers. Sienna and I look at each other suspiciously. “I guess someone from the football team, or something… maybe, um,  Justin?” she finishes lamely. Justin is the biggest player in the school. Every girl in her right mind hates him, especially Cassie. 

“Justin? But you hate Justin! You told me the other day that you ‘wished he would fall off a cliff into a pit of angry snakes’. You were pretty angry,” Sienna reminds her. 

“Did I say that? I… ummm…” she desperately tries to think of an excuse. 

“What’s up, Cassie? Why are you acting all weirdly?” I ask her. She sighs. 

“I’m sorry, I can’t just lie to you guys,” she admits. Now I’m curious. “I actually already am dating someone from school.”

“What? Why didn’t you say anything? I have missed out on some valuable teasing time!” Sienna protests. 

“Who is it?” I ask. 

“His name is Diego.” I look at her blankly. “Diego Menendez?” she prompts. “He’s a junior.” Now she says that, I do vaguely remember a tall spanish guy on the football team with Sam. Oh god, now I’m thinking about Sam. Stop it, Melody!