Chapter 6

Earlier on I made a comment that ‘friends hold you back’. Well, I was stupid. Friends are completely awesome! Ever since that rehearsal a couple of weeks ago, I’ve been hanging around with Cassie and Sienna and they make my life so much better. I always thought that friends just nagged you to come and see them in god-awful plays and then you had to lie and say that is was amazing, or they’d copy all my homework answers (they would probably be wrong but there’s no stopping some people). It turns out that friends meet up with you and eat lunch with you and make you laugh and learn lines together. Who knew? 

I guess I’ve never really had real friends before. In junior school, I thought I was friends with Sonia Peterson but it turned out that she was just pretending to be my friend so that she could audition with me for the school play and get a good part. As soon as she was cast, she just dropped me without a second thought. Up until now, I just ate lunch on my own and spent all my free time in music rooms, practising for my debut on Broadway. 

Right now I feel like nothing could be better in my life. I have two really great friends who look out for me and make me laugh so much it hurts sometimes. I have the lead role in the school musical and my voice has never sounded better. I haven’t been pushed, slapped or bitched at for weeks. Ever since Sienna attacked Elisha and left her with a scratch on her arm, a bruised cheek and a slightly bald patch where she pulled her hair rather vigorously, I haven’t had a single prank played on me at rehearsals and have stayed fully clothed at all times. It’s a miracle. 

The only problem is that the love of my life is dating someone else. I don’t understand why he likes her. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him smile around her, whereas with me we laugh together all the time. He’s so funny and charming and those eyes… 

Oops, I nearly drooled in my locker. I hastily put my books away and close the door, only to see those very eyes beside me. 

“Hey, Melody,” he grins, “I was just thinking that we never had that coffee you promised me.” My internal organs practically die. Is he asking me on a date? That first conversation in the physics lesson comes flooding back to me. I was going to meet up with him that Friday but then I found out about him and Elisha. 

“Yeah, we should totally do that sometime,” I say as casually as possible. We start to walk down the corridor side-by-side. 

“Do you have any plans tonight?” he asks. Even if I was going to meet the president I wouldn’t have any plans tonight. 

“Tonight sounds great,” I answer, trying to suppress a blush. 

“Cool,” his grin widens and he looks so absolutely gorgeous, “I’ll meet you at Cornelio’s at five.” He gives me a mini-salute and disappears into the bustling corridor. I hear a chorus of excited squealing behind me. 

“Love is in the air… La la la,” Sienna sings in my ear. Cassie is jumping up and down beside me. 

“This is so exciting!” she giggles, then suddenly goes deadly serious. “Is he going to break up with Elisha and go out with you? This is just the best day ever!”

“Calm down,” I laugh, “We’re just getting a coffee. As friends. Who are kind of in love!” I can’t help but join in with the jumping and squealing. You’ve got to do it every now and again. 

******

I managed to rush home straight after school to quickly brush my hair, put on some make up and pick an absolutely gorgeous outfit. The hair and make up bit was fine but I still can’t decide on an outfit. I usually wear floral dresses and cardigans with ballet pumps but somehow that doesn’t seem quite right for the occasion. I mean, this is my first date with the most amazing guy ever… Well, ok, maybe it’s not really a date but a girl can dream!

I quickly grab my phone and dial Cassie’s number - she picks up after two rings.

“Oh my god! Has he broken up with Elisha yet?!” she yells down the phone, almost deafening me. 

“Calm down, Cassie, I’m not meeting him till five,” I laugh. I hear her sigh with disappointment. “I really don’t know what to wear,” I explain, “I mean I could just wear one of my dresses…”

“No,” she says firmly, “You have to wow him! Make him see the fun-loving, out-of-school Melody!”

“Does that person exist?” I ask doubtfully.

“Oh shut up! She totally exists! Wait, I’ll call Sienna and we can conference call…”

“No, it’s fine-” I start but I can already hear the Cassie calling her. 

“Oh my god! Is Melody dating Sam now?!” Sienna squeals. I let out an exasperated sigh. 

“No, Sienna, not till five!” I correct her. She sighs. She and Cassie are so alike sometimes. 

“Melody doesn’t know what to wear for her big date,” Cassie explains. “I told her not to wear one of her floral dresses-”

“Definitely not. She has to look really stunning,” her voice trails off as she sinks into deep thought. There is a moment’s silence. I wonder if I ought to say something but suddenly Sienna shrieks and starts speaking really quickly and partially in Spanish. 

“Wait, Sienna, what?!” I try to decipher the spanglish nonsense she is saying but get nowhere. 

“So I’ll be there in a few minutes!” she says, “You coming Cassie?”

“Sure!”

“Ok, so I’ll see you there!”

“Wait, what the hell is going on?!” I demand but I am only answered by the dial tone. Friends can be amazing but also completely insane.