Top of the World

Top of the World (13)

With many songs entitled Top of the World or On Top of the World I merely decided to leave it like that. So with versions of Mandy Moore, Boys like Girls and the singer/actress I chose to be Beatrice, Bridgit Mendler—this is chapter thirteen, Top of the World.

-

I didn’t know how many hours can pass without my knowledge but I woke up four days before the competition and had this strange beat inside my head. I risked coming to our music room just to play it out with my red leather notebook and my favourite black pen to write down the lyrics.

You got that fresh way of talking, it could be four in the morning and you’re making me trip—my heart skip, skip the beat.

I smiled as I remember our first time talking to each other alone in the pizzeria. I looked at my watch instinctively and almost laugh. It is four in the morning.

You know that this is amazing. Please tell me why you’re hesitating. Let’s risk it all, risk the fall tonight.

-

When my alarm clock woke me up, I can barely open my eyes. I was so tired from this morning and didn’t know if I could actually come to school. I groaned when my mom started calling me for breakfast.

I get up, got down and went straight to the kitchen. She gave me hot spaghetti for breakfast and ordered me to go shower and dress up before Matt picks me up.

“Huh,” I said and she raised her brow at me. “I guess it is routine for Matt to come pick me up.”

“Yes it is. Now better finish up and bathe,” she commands without a second thought and I hurry up now, knowing that Matt can drive faster than…well, I have no one to compare him to. He’s a maniac when it comes to driving. My grandmother can die from a heart attack in his car.

-

His beep finalized my hair staying that way and ran down the stairs, almost falling at the last step and kissed my mom on the cheek. “Bye!” I quickly called out before closing the door. I took a beat as I see him leaning on his hood, waiting.

Look up the stars are fading—and I am still here waiting to see you again.

Oh great, I groaned inwardly as another song pops in my head. But then again, I couldn’t stop singing quietly to myself as I relished the lyrics, making complete sense to this moment.

Matt caught me and as usual, grins, singing along as he goes in and starts the engine. “’Cause all the roads they lead to where you are, and all the streetlights shine like they were stars—”

“That’s where you are.”

-

We sang that song on the way to school and talked over the buzz of crowds for the performance we’re putting up on the competition. He said that he called the band from the Shack to play with us instead of the school band we have been rehearsing with. I asked him if they were good with that arrangement and gave a carefree shrug with a ‘Yeah, they weren’t pissed’ statement.

I decided to let him do all those while; I focus on how we’re going to keep the audience and the judges awake.

“Oh c’mon, B, we’re going to be like—”

“Don’t say blow the roof,” I warned but hardly sounded menacing. “It’s not a rock-out-all song, M. You know that. I mean, I don’t even know why you picked that song.”

“Hey, it’s a good song,” he says, defensive. “And I thought you wanted an ‘us’ song.”

The sound of that made me tense. Us