Simple Song-The Shins

Simple Song-The Shins (3)

I KNOW THAT THINGS CAN REALLY GET ROUGH, WHEN YOU GO IT ALONE. DON’T GO THINKING YOU GOT TO BE TOUGH AND BLEED LIKE A STONE.

We were in the auditorium and there were balloons everywhere. Up on the stage were an acoustic guitar and a microphone-stand with—of course—a microphone. There was also a drum set and a bunch of electric guitars and amplifier. With it were people I have not seen before hold these instruments and started playing The Shins.

I grinned up at M and wondered why he’d bring me here.

“We have to practice.” He tells me and drags me up to the stage. He picked up the guitar and followed the lead of the band. “When I was just nine years old, I swear that I dreamt; your face on a football field and a kiss that I kept, under my vest. Apart from everything but the heart in my chest,”

I waited for my turn and when the drums draw in for the chorus, I tried to hit it. “I know that things could really get rough when you go it alone. Don’t go thinking you got to be tough and bleed like a stone. Could be there’s nothing else in our lives—”

“So critical,” our voices blended for five seconds at least and I enjoyed that sound.

“As this little home,” I grinned at him as I turned. The song went on and I kept on singing despite my vow not to since Dad.

But as I look at Matt, and hear the song going through my tongue, my throat, my lips and my heart, I just knew.

I breathed in. “Remember walking a mile to your house; a glow in the dark. I made a fumbling play for your heart, and the act struck a spark. You wore a charm on the chain that I stole; especial for you. Love's such a delicate thing that we do; with nothing to prove…which I never knew ooh,”

-

“Boy, what a gift! Will you tell me with your tongue and your breath was in my lungs—”

“And we float up through the rift,” he joined me as we sang through the streets, walking home and tried to relive what moment there was in the auditorium after classes.

I laughed as we hit some notes wrong and Matt tried to imitate a guy on stage with added effects of air guitar. We stopped in front of our house and he escorted me to the door. I smiled up at him as I fumbled with my keys.

“Thank you,” I sighed. “For a great afternoon,”

“Sure thing, B,” he says and looks at the door. “Tell your mom I said hi.”

I nodded. “Will do, M.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow, my house,” he slowly backed away from the porch so I called after him. “What?”

“Wait. You really aren’t you staying for dinner?” I asked but he shrugged. “What?”

“You need to work on that name; B. Haven’t heard it yet,” he laughs. “It’s totally understandable you can’t concentrate because of my presence.” He winked with such confidence it almost annoyed me.

And that was when I remembered something I’ve forgotten. “You’re right!” I said and Matt cocked his head to the side.

“Are you high?” he demanded and I shook my head.

I rolled my eyes. “I’ve thought of a name already.”

“Good, what is it?”

Mile Breaking,” I replied and he raised his brows at me. “I will explain tomorrow. But…would it sell?” I asked and after a moment or two he gave me a reassuring smile.