For the First Time-The Script (Epilogue)

OH THESE TIMES ARE HARD. YEAH THEY’RE MAKING US CRAZY. DON’T GIVE UP ON ME BABY.

Well, I can’t put the whole song in. I really want to but I can’t. It’s too long and I have had no sleep. Thank you for reading this and I really hope that you have enjoyed this journey as much as I have. Love, Katherine.

-

The music was loud. The music was the wind coming through as I rolled the windows, the meter hitting eighty and then dropping back to sixty. I lean back and look at him, driving the car as if it was a race car. I couldn’t resist not touching the hair behind his ear, caressing it like an idiot. He takes my hand with his right and puts it close to his mouth and kisses it.

We don’t talk for a while and I let my hand rest on his knee as he drove us back to our neighbourhood. I stare out the windshield, gazing at the dark sky and the stars that were blinking every now and then. I sighed and felt the heat of the moment and the actual atmosphere out here in town.

The competition is long over by now and I received a text from Alice seconds after the thought.

After party—‘abandoned shack’ as Jonah called it—we’re invited, and we’ll be waiting for you two. Spill the beans later, k? –A.

I tell Matt to go straight to the shack and we went quiet again, drinking in taillights and headlights blinding us as they pass. I felt a light pressure on my left hand and found him squeezing it, glancing at me with a small smile of his face.

“We end up here, then.” He murmurs and I nod to that. “So…about you defining date to me, are you up for it yet?”

I wanted to shiver at the memory, at the cold and senseless fight we had in Nathan’s street. But when I spoke, I sounded alright. “Let me get to that later,”

He chuckles under his breath and makes a turn, knowing his name to the after party. I breathed in the feeling of this reality and how it could stretch out to infinities of moments. I can’t seem to get enough of it; like the smell of coffee in the morning or hot chocolate on cold December nights. I gripped his hand in mine and leaned in fast to kiss his lips.

“Take me out to dinner tomorrow and we could discuss that date definition then,” I whispered in his ears and he nods eagerly but coolly.

“I think taking you to dinner definitely defines date already,” he points out and I winked at him which I know he saw as he glanced at me that exact moment. I leaned back on my seat and found no need to. We were here and I could see the beautiful lights from where I was sitting.

We got out of the car and were surprised at how loud everything was. But I guess that’s what you call a party. Matt takes my hand as we walk to the entrance and as soon as we get in, a pop sounds and we both flinch.

“Give it up for Mile Breakers!” I heard someone say and found Pip standing on the stage, speaking on the microphone.

“Come on you two, get up here!” Jonah calls out and I was suddenly relieved that the band wasn’t at all mad for us abandoning them. But I guess that’s the deal with a good band; you could play anywhere. And that’s the understatement for a great band—they can play anytime.

We were warm as we’ve reached the cold light of everyone waiting for us to do something so we went on stage, grabbing the microphone and before Matt could get his guitar, he pulls me in and kisses me, on stage, in front of everyone we know. I grinned even though I was blushing ridiculously as everyone hoots and talk a little too loudly.

“We dedicate this next song to all those who have gone through hard times these past couple of months and of course, to all our friends out here—”

I turned to Simon and Pip and Harold, gesturing for the song name. I mouthed the words and made hand gestures while Matt laughed, carefree and I knew he got what I was talking about because he went closer to the guys and told them what I was trying to say.

Pip made the face accompanied with the ‘ah’ sound and Simon was chuckling as well. The drum lord was up for an intro of his own but when Harold and Jonah began playing, Pip singing at the right moment, we were on the move for the song. The lights died down for a second and everyone was quiet.

Then I saw Pip’s signal to me and I let it out—and the lights came back on. I look at Matt and how he’s having fun playing that guitar, in front of everybody and grinned when he put it down to take another microphone to sing this with me.

Oh, these times are hard. Yeah, they’re making us crazy. Don’t give up on me, baby.

I won’t give up on this.

Oh these times are hard—yeah they’re making us crazy; don’t give up on me, baby…

This is my salvation. This is where I belong. This is where I can be honest with myself and with everyone else. This—him—all else gives me courage.

I won’t give up on this no matter what. Our music has saved me from more than just the heartbreak I’ve had from Nathan. Our music cured me of my fear that I can never be loved by it or by anyone else ever since my father…ever since he became one of those few people who are here but are lost.

This thing that happened—I won’t give up on it, ever—and it feels like it’s a long life commitment, a metaphor almost, a parallel line on how I’m never going to give up on my father.

Don’t give up on me, baby. This is for him and for his last words to me before he went away.