Chapter 18: Never Stop

Okay, this is going to get a bit dark as you read on further....

Instantly Tony started to make his way toward us but I had a faster reaction and grabbed Bucky's nonmetal arm and pulled him for a few seconds away before letting him run on his own.

We ran down the streets of New York and I watched every place where the cameras were until I found a particular alleyway a good blocks away, "Bucky we need to split. Please." I said when I saw his look harden a second.

It was obvious he didn't like it but he did so anyway, just leaving Tony to push his way past people as I slide between them toward the alley.

I watched a window a bit seeing if anyone else was watching us before disappearing into the alley, ducking behind the garbage bin.

I slowed my panting breath and listened as I heard the heavy footsteps of someone else running, "Percy?" A familiar voice asked and I peaked around to look at Tony ho was staring around trying to spot me.

He didn't really look around as his shoulders slumped, "Is it really you Tony?" I asked my voice quiet as I slowly made my way out from behind the bin.

Tony looked like the weight of the earth fell of his shoulders as I met him halfway for a hug, "you alright kid?" he asked his breath still a bit gone but seemed like relief had entered him.

"More or less." I said tears threatening to spill, he found me. But I still had something to do...

I had to tore myself away from my uncle but he still kept hold of my arms like he was anchoring both of us to this reality.

"Who was that back there?" Tony asked looking over me concerned like he was checking for an injuries.

"Bucky Barnes." I said and heard him huff a laugh.

"Of course you would meet Steve's best friend." he said looking amused.

"Where are the others?" I asked peeking over his shoulder in case he alerted them to where he might be.

"They're back at the tower, worried but getting on with their lives." Tony said looking at me the way a parent would look at a child who was gone for an extended amount of time.

"Getting on with their lives." I said testing the words on my tongue, they didn't feel like mine or Tony's.

"Yeah, I was worried sick but they went on what they normally did." Tony said like it was obvious and very normal.

I wrenched my arms away from his, "You're not Tony." I said backing up slightly and saw 'Tony' have a heart look in his eyes.

"Percy why would you say that." Tony said trying to grab me again but I was quicker and backed away.

"The uncle I know and love would never, ever say that. Along with it's not in the Avengers way to just leave one of their own behind." I said feeling claustrophobic in this alleyway sudden.

"Percy come back here." Tony said his voice sounded desperate like he didn't want to leave me again but I had already climbed over the fence behind me and was sprinting back down the streets of Manhattan.

I turned and skirted to a stop where I fell backward a bit, my hands scraping the pavement, but I just turned from the dream to my sudden nightmare.

Instead of people normal people around the corner, there was Gabe and his buddies playing Poker and the look in Gabe's eyes as he and his buddies threw his cards on the table to walk after me was enough to get my heart pumping.

Using my speed I sprinted down another alley only to skid to a stop once more because instead of Gabe, there was the Avengers laughing at me.

The skidding made me fall back in both having my feelings hurt and in shock.

"This isn't real." I muttered to myself but it all felt and seemed real, the Avengers walked toward me pointing and laughing, Gabe and his buddies who seemed to have bats also laughed as they got closer behind me.

Tony came out of an alleyway laughing also, laughing at me.

"This isn't real." I muttered to myself but I couldn't make myself believe it, the stinging of the tears against my eyes felt real, the wetness going down my cheeks felt real, the hard breathing in my chest felt real, the laugh sounded real, my heartache felt real.

So how wasn't this real...

Tears streamed down my face but I just knew something, knew I couldn't give up. I can't not with being with Hydra.

Feeling determined I stood on shaky legs and wiped my tears on my hoodie sleeve before sprinting down the other alley which held no one.

I heard the others coming, slowly entering the alley I came. And all I was doing was staring, because in front of me was a big red door.

Looking behind me I could see them slowly entering the alley, laughing and hitting the bats into their hands ready to hurt me.

Steeling myself, I took a last breath before opening the door and stepping inside.

I woke with my heart pumping full of adrenaline and found wires hooked up to me, a scientist was writing stuff down on a clipboard and looked up sharply when the monitors connected to the wires were suddenly stopping.

He stared at me with disinterest and huffed, "Guard, take him back to his cell. We're done for today." the man yelled and suddenly the door opened and a Hydra guard escorted me back.

I didn't even know what they were doing but I feared it was nothing good. Especially when a new sudden hopelessness emerged in my mind when I thought about my uncle, the laughing, the bats, it all seemed real.

But I just knew I could never give up on family. Because if I do then who will be there for me when I finally get out of here with Bucky?