Chapter 11: Home

Okay, I wrote this like today. I couldn't wait for you guys to read this one. Get the tissues ready!!!!!!

-teambuckybarnes

Nicky's POV

I took my coat off, covering her naked body. The last thing I wanted was for another man to see her naked. I reluctantly handed her to the the medics. How could this happen to her? I hopped into the ambulance with her.

"Sir, may I ask your relationship with this woman?"

"I am her boyfriend, and I'm coming with."

"Okay. Let's move!" I held her delicate hand in mine. We had made it to the hospital, when the medics looked at each other and started shouting.

"We're losing her!"

"Make way!"

"Prep a surgery room!"

"She lost a lot of blood and may have hypothermia!" It's Oregon, it still rains in June. I tried to follow them when the nurses pushed me back.

"I'm sorry sir, but you will have to wait out here."

"I need to be with her! She's my girlfriend!"

"We understand sir, but you need to wait out here." I felt a hand gently grasp my shoulder.

"Come on, man. The last thing that she wants is for you to get in a fight with the people who are going to help her." It was Jason. He had a point. This is not what she would want at all. Sarah, Jason, and I sat in the waiting room for hours it seemed like. My eyes closed, and a restless sleep over took me.

"Family of Cassandra Drackson?" We all stood up.

"I am her brother Jason. This is her best friend, Sarah, and this is her boyfriend, Nick." Jason motioned to each of us as he spoke.

"Right this way, please." We followed the blonde nurse through some halls, until we paused outside of a room, numbered #325. She paused, then turned towards us before opening the door to Cass's room.

"She suffered a major head injury. She has a broken arm and bruises on her ribs and stomach. She has multiple scratches and cuts, not to mention a black eye and bruised cheek. She has a large cut in her side. I'm very sorry to inform you that she is in a coma. We are not sure when or if she will wake up." With sympathy in her voice and eyes, she opened the door. We walked in, and what I saw broke my heart all over again. She looked pale and lifeless. A cast covered her left arm, and a bandage was wrapped around her head. The black eye and bruise on her face made me wince.

What had happened to her?

The only comfort was her heart monitor beating steadily.

One Week Later

I had refused to leave her side. Jason and Sarah had jobs that they had to keep up, but they visited often. I talked to her telling her about the things she missed.

"You know, I think that your brother likes Sarah. You can see it when he talks to her," I knew that she wouldn't respond, but every time I wished that she would wake up.

"You should have seen what happened to Michelle. She was gossiping about you behind your back, when Sarah cam out of nowhere and threw a solid right hook to her face. It was awesome. Who knew that Sarah could throw a solid hook like that?" I chuckled lightly at the memory, but my amusement turned to alarm when I heard the unmistakable screech of the heart monitor.

Nurses bursted through the door. I was shoved out of the room. I quickly texted Sarah and Jason to let them know what was happening.

"Doctor she's flatlining!"

"Get the defibrillator!" I watched helplessly, while they tried to bring her back. They tried once, twice, then three times. The screeching noise from the machine told me that she wasn't there. Letting my back slide against the wall, I buried my head in my hands. I cried for the first time in years. I lost her.

She's gone.

(I was going to stop here, but.......I love you guys!)

Cass's POV

Opening my eyes, I found myself in a tulip field. A small breeze came my way, I felt peaceful.

"Cass?" That voice, I haven't heard that voice in years.

"Mom?" I can't believe she's here!

"It's me sweetheart." Before I knew what I was doing, my feet carried me to her. I wrapped my arms around my beloved mother.

"Honey, don't cry. Do you know where you are?" I shook my head, unable to speak.

"You are in the place between death and life. You have a choice go back to your brother, best friend, and boyfriend, or you can stay here with me."

"I want to stay here with you, mom. I don't want go without you!"

"Sweetheart, have you forgotten those who love you down there, in the world?" She then showed me my brother rushing to the hospital with Sarah. He was praying over and over again. Sarah was shedding silent tears beside him. What really broke my resolve, was when she showed me Nicky. He was sitting on the hospital floor outside my room. He stood up when the nurses opened the door to let him in.

He sat down next to me and held my lifeless body close to his chest. For the first time in my life, I saw a man cry. It broke me. My father didn't even cry when my mother died.

"Please Cass. Please don't leave me. I need you baby. You were the first person that showed interest in my well being. My parents are always off somewhere. They never come home. Please Cass, come home." He cried while rocking my limp body back and forth.

I turned to my mother with tears in my eyes. "I need to go back."

"Sweetheart, I'm so happy for you. You found someone to give your heart to. I can tell that he will be good for you. Don't let him go, okay? Tell your brother I said hi." She kissed my head, and gently touched me above my chest, where my heart is.

The beautiful landscape and my mother faded. I felt myself become heavy. Peeling my eyes open, I took in my surroundings. My brown eyes locked with Nicky's blue ones. His tear streaked face just stared at me in shock. I took my right hand and cupped his cheek before kissing him softly.

"I'm home, Nicky. I-I love you." I whispered quietly.

"I love you, too Cass."

Damn. That was heavy. Picturing Nicky crying literally broke my heart. Seriously. What did you guys think? Please Comment and vote! Love you all!

-teambuckybarnes