Lame

"Lame," smirked the towering boy in front of all of us. His glasses slightly falling off his nose as he tipped his head back. The look he gave was as if he pitied them...or me. I couldn't tell if he was talking about me or the bullies, or if both. He turned, walking away. Leaving the bullies and me in shock. My eyes didn't leave him, until his blonde hair was out of sight.

~Skip a few years ahead~

"Wa...wait up Tsukki," I called out after the tall blonde as I rushed out of my house as he walked by. We lived a little ways apart but he walked this way to school every day. I didn't understand why, he lived closer to the school than I do, but he walked around the long way. We walked in silence for a little bit before I started talking about us joining the volleyball club.

"It's just a club," he interrupted me. Glancing back ever so slightly. 

"Sorry Tsukki," I immediately responded, like the thousands of times before. It only felt right to apologize. I didn't know why. Just did. When we arrived at the school I started to talk again. Tsukki and I were in the same class. In the past we hadn't been because he was always smarter than me. As time passed he helped me with some of my work. 

Tsukki usually didn't eat lunch, so I would eat alone outside. I went out by a tree and smiled to myself. A simple yet delicious lunch made by my mom. She wasn't the best cook but her food still made me happy. I scrolled through my phone as I took small bites of spinach and corn sautee. I looked up when a shadow covered where I was sitting. A few boys had come up to me. They looked sort of familiar. 

"Hey, isn't this that cry baby Yamaguchi we went to elementary school with," one with a shaved head smirked.

"I think so. Where is your tall freak to help you out," the second laughed leaning in closer.

"T...Tsukki...i...is," I stuttered looking down at my lunch. Memories of before started to fill my head. My lip began to quiver.

"Are you going to cry," the third laughed, the rest joining in. He began to look around. "Well since nobody his here, how about I give you a reason to cry."

Before I knew it my lunch was on the ground and two of them were holding me by my arms. The third began throwing punches left and right. Mostly at my gut. The only reason they stopped was because the bell rang.

After spending a good 10 minutes cleaning myself up in the bathroom, I finally made my way back to class. When I came in late the teacher lectured me. I was to clean the whole class room alone after school. The day seemed to drag on forever. What a great first day of high school. Between classes I didn't talk at all. I made Tsukki leave without me as I cleaned the room as fast as I could before going home. 

I confided to my mom what happened that day. She was willing to go up there and fight all of them, hopefully she was joking. Later that night I laid in bed, unable to sleep. My phone buzzed right when I started to fall asleep. The time was 1:36 am. It was from Tsukki. He never texts this late.

FR: Tsukki
What's wrong?

I guess he could tell when I basically shooed him away after school. When usually I'd beg for him to wait for me.

TO:  Tsukki
Nothing.

FR: Tsukki
Don't lie to me...

TO: Tsukki
It's nothing I can't handle alone.

FR: Tsukki
Then go to sleep.

TO: Tsukki
How did you know I was awake?

FR: Tsukki
You answered my text. Now sleep.

TO: Tsukki
Fine. GOODNIGHT TSUKKI!!!

FR: Tsukki
Good night.

After a few more minutes I fell into a deep sleep.