Kaleb

Chapter 16

"Why am I dressed like this?" I asked Jordan.

Her heels clicked against the ground as she walked over to me in her tight clubbing dress. She placed her manicured fingernails on my tie and undid it. I furrowed a brow.

"This is how we always dress for a deal," she responded. "And one more thing Kaleb, no ties. It's easier to choke you with."

Her silky hair was curled nicely and the bold makeup she wore suited her nicely. Jordan looked up at me and she placed her palms on each side of my face.

I grabbed onto her wrist and left my hand there.

"Are you ready for tonight?" she asked me softly.

Hell no.

I was nervous as hell but if my little sister was in danger then this is the only choice left I have. Going to the police is not possible now, and it wasn't an option when Cara first went missing.

"Jordan," I spoke, "I trust you."

Her eyelashes fluttered as she stared at me in silence.

"I'll be right here."

A knock sounded at the door and both Jordan and I turned to see who it was that knocked. Callum stood there in a formal casual dress attire and he glanced at our hands swiftly. I released Jordan's hands from my face and noticed a quick expression of hurt from her as I did it. She hid her emotions quickly though.

"I need to have a word with you," Callum said simply.

Jordan took one last glance at me and smiled softly before exiting. Callum looked her way before meeting eyes with me again. A curious expression drew upon his face.

"We aren't together," I told him briefly.

"Sure." He brushed past me and took a seat on one of the chairs in the corner of my room.

"What?"

"How are you feeling?"

Surprise hit me on the on the inside. It didn't occur to me that he'd care this much. Then again, I am taking his place in the deal. He wouldn't want me to fuck up.

"Would you believe me if I said I was nervous?"

He chuckled a little.

"Of course I would. Do you remember the plan?"

I breathed out. "Find the target in the navy blue suit. Find a quiet place, and make the deal."

"That's all there is too it."

I sure hope so.

"But if you happen to fail, I don't see a very happy ending to your situation." I felt a lump in my throat as it felt like I could hardly breathe.

"I'll make sure everything goes successfully."

There was an awkward silence after that, which gave Callum the perfect time to start talking.

"When I was your age I was getting drunk and getting myself into fights all the time. But when it came to the point where I had to kill a man-"

"-You think I'm going to kill someone tonight?" I asked seriously. I grew tense, but not from anger, but from fear.

"It can happen."

"It won't." He'd be a fool to think so. My jaw clenched as I continued looking him in the eye.