Cara

Chapter 14

By the time I left the garage the sun had already gone down. I made my way back up to the main house with Scarlet's words stuck in my head.

"You don't know who you are?"

"What do you mean? I'm Cara Stryker."

Scarlet let out a laugh. "Maybe on the documents," she shook her head at me. "But really, you're Cara Bell."

A stressed sigh left my lips.

Where would she think of a name like that? Bell. It has no ring to it, and it sounds extremely lame too.

At least I know that my purpose here means something. Whoever possessed the name "Bell" appeared to have a lot of power, and I'm not surprised if Damien would be willing to do anything to get it - even hurt me further more.

I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand as chills ran down my spine from the thought.

Damien is dangerous. But if he really needed me for whatever it was that he wanted than I need to understand my value.

I need to be untouchable, even by him.

I continued walking up the steps to the mansion ahead of me. The silence of the manor was killing me, and all I felt was the cold breeze brush up against my skin.

I was alone.

I looked to my right. The street was right there. I could do it.

Run.

One foot went off the ground, but the other one failed to follow. I felt a tug at the hem of my shirt and looked down in surprise.

"Hi Cara!" I heard a voice squeal from behind me.

"Jaden?" I asked startled.

His hair was tousled and his bright eyes sparkled as he looked up at me. There was a tired grin on his lips that only seemed to grow wider.

"Why aren't you with Damien?"

Damien should have been watching him the entire time. Afterall, I haven't seen anyone other than Scarlet and himself who've been acting as Jaden's guardian.

"I just woke up," he yawned. "But everyone was gone... again." I stood there masking my disappointment with a pitiful smile.

Jaden suddenly grabbed onto my hand, pulling me towards the house.

"Can you make make me a sandwich? "

I smiled at him. Only five years old and he's already asking the girls to make him a sandwich. My feminist side would be screaming at me, but boy, he's so cute.

"How could I say 'no'?"

We walked to the kitchen together and I made him a turkey sandwich as he waited patiently. When I slid the plate down his way, Jaden eagerly snatched it and ate it so fast that I thought he was going to choke.

"Mmmmm," he giggled. "That was good!"

"And what do we say?"

"Thank you!"

I smiled at him dearly. In a house full of horror there were only so many things that could bring joy to this place.

"Cara."

"Yes, Jaden?"

"I have a surprise for you!" His face lighted up like that of a child in a toy store. He grew excited within seconds.