Dedicated to mfrancos, for your lovely reviews on BDB. 

                 ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Chapter 1

Breathe

Breathe, I told myself. The footsteps outside of my bedroom door faded, leaving the trace of silence behind. The only thing I could hear was my heart beating against my chest, and my stilled breath. 

If I wanted to escape, this would be my only chance. 

Slowly, I crept out of bed being sure to be as quiet as a mouse. I had already changed from a pair of pajamas to my casual clothes consisting of leggings, and a loose sweater. My shoes were kept in my closet, and grabbing a pair, and prepared to descend down the stair case. 

Grasping onto the door knob, I gave it a soft turn. The lights were off in the hallway, and I was sure that no one was going to see me.

Yes, I'm actually doing this. 

I tiptoed down the steps, and peered at the front doors ahead of me. A few more steps, just a little longer--

"Where the hell do you think you're going?" I froze mid step. 

"Kaleb." I turned around in my place to give an innocent look to my older brother. "You're still up?" 

His dark brown hair was messy, as if he never bothered to brush it today. His emerald green eyes stared back at my familiar ones, and narrowed. 

"Don't change the subject. Where are you going Cara?" 

"I was just going-"

"-Out? You know we're not supposed to." I bit my lip.

"We both just turned eighteen. Don't you think it's time we have a little freedom?" I watched as his expression softened.

My brother and I were twins, but we weren't exactly identical. Other than our brown hair, and green eyes, Kaleb was very tall and built whereas I was fortunate enough to be a few inches taller than my mother. 

"You know how mom feels about us leaving at night." 

"You know how mom feels about us doing anything, right?" I countered. "Besides, its not like you never kept any promises with her." 

"Cara," my brother reprimanded threateningly. "Do I have to wrestle it out with you? You're not going anywhere. I promised mom that we'd stay home." 

"But this is the only time I have to make a run for the bank. The deadline for the trip to London is this Monday."

"London? Are you crazy?" I threw a glare at my brother. "And you're my little sister. What type of brother would I be if I let you get in trouble?" 

"Also, we're the same age." 

"But you're tiny." Is that the best he's got? 

I rolled my eyes and spun on my heels towards the door. I had places to be, like the bank. The only way I was going to be able to pay for the trip to London is if I withdraw some money from my bank account. Mom would never willingly pay for a trip that she'd never allow me to go on. 

"Woah, hey put me down!" Kaleb picked me up from behind and started walking to the kitchen. 

"No. If you leave and mom finds out, then she's going to be pissed at me. God knows shes a monster when she's pissed." Its true. Mom had the lungs of rabid drill instructor when she got angry at us. It was funny seeing so much rage in such a small person. "And I am not losing my car because you wanted to step outside."

"If you don't put me down, then you're going to lose your car for lying to mom all of those times you snuck out." 

"Mom doesn't even know about those times."

"She will." Kaleb froze. 

"You wouldn't." Oh I would

I pulled out my phone front my pocket and scrolled down the contact list for "mom". Before I could even press call, Kaleb tore the phone from my hand. 

"Give that back you idiot!" I screamed at him. 

"Hell no!" 

I clenched my jaw and threw myself at Kaleb, bringing him down onto our carpeted living room. He pushed me off him, only to get his hair tugged by me.

"You fight like a pussy!" he screamed. "Let go!" 

"Screw you! Give me my phone!" I reached for his hand, but he wouldn't release it from his grip. "Now Kaleb!" 

"Fuck off Cara!" he retorted. Frustrated, I reached for a pillow and smashed it onto Kalebs face.

"Die, you-oomph!" Kaleb pushed me off him and threw the pillow at me. 

"And you thought you could win," he teased victoriously. "How are you going to call mom without your phone?" 

A sly grin spread on my lips. "Easy. With your phone." I quickly sprange up from the floor and ran to the bathroom around the hall. Locking the door knob securely, I laughed when I saw it wriggle from the other side. 

"Cara don't you dare call mom!" 

"Then will you let me leave then?" 

"No!" Oh really now?

"Hello? Mom?" I feigned a conversation. 

"Okay, okay! You can go! Just hang up!" Kaleb screamed from the otherside. "Mom if you can hear me don't believe anything your daughter says!" 

I smiled victoriously, and unlocked the bathroom door. An angry Kaleb stared down at me, and ripped his cell from my hand. 

"You're the devil." I slid past my brother and walked back to the front door. Kaleb trailed along behind me, phone in his hands to see if I really did call her or not. 

"I'll be back in like half an hour, just don't tell mom-"

"-tell mom what?" Her voice echoed through the hall. It was strong enough to command the attention of anyone within a ten foot proximity. 

She was home early.