Kaleb

Chapter 10 

The streets gradually grew darker as we progressed through the city. Men were driving home to their wives, and women to their children. No longer could I see shadows on the concrete as we continued walking. Night was coming faster than I thought it was, and I could either blame that on the booze or my watch on time.

The blonde girl in front of me kept on walking nonetheless, and so far she had yet to utter a single word. We left the dude that I punched lying in the gutter, but according to the faces of some other pedestrians I guess passing out in the street is a norm. I don't know how long we have been walking for, but I was growing impatient.

"So...uh," I slurred, still feeling the side effects of the beer. "What's your name?" 

"Jordan," was her one word reply. Her accent was soft to my ears. 

"Where are we going?" 

"We're going back to my place."

"You're place?" 

"Well it's not really my place. It's more of a...I don't really know how to describe it." 

"Is it an at-home business?" I asked. 

"Yeah, yeah you can say that." 

"Does that make your dad a detective?" 

"Pardon?" 

"Your dad. Is he a detective? Does he know how to track people?" 

I looked a Jordan and saw a confused expression upon her face. It cleared after a few seconds when she responded, "Uh well. He's not really my dad, and these people who are going to help you are more like my friends. But in a sense, we are a big family." 

I nodded my head and continued walking. I know what its like to friends as my real family, but don't get me wrong. I love my mother and my sister, but there are just some things I can't find to admit in front of them. There are more personal things a guy would want to talk to his father about more than his mom or little sister. 

We continued walking onwards until a house came into sight. I glanced around to my left and to my right. We were standing in the back of some house at very appropriate distance from the city, but in my state I wouldn't have cared less where we were. I just wanted to take a nap. 

"Is this the place?" 

Jordan turned around and flashed me a smile. "Yes." 

Jordan walked up the door and knocked on it. I stood behind her, hands supporting my head from the beating headache I had. I glanced upward taking the view of the house in. It was an ordinary place, but it was strange seeing as the house was all the way out here. Wouldn't businesses want to attract customers rather than hide from them? My attention broke away to the front door when I heard the locks click. 

A man stood in the middle of the entrance. He was considerably healthy looking for someone who appeared to be in his late forties, but that only made him look manlier. The man shedded a kind smile on Jordan, but frowned when he saw me. 

"Who is this?" he asked. Jordan shot me a look, insisting that I spoke up.

"Kaleb." I tried my best to stay composed. If this was the man who was going to help me find my sister then I didn't want to look like an idiot. 

Instead he stood there, waiting for me to say more. 

"Jordan said that you can help me find my runaway sister." 

"Did she now?" From what I saw then, I could say that he was not very happy about me showing up here. 

His jaw clenched and he threw Jordan a warning look.