Chapter 5: That's Not Me

"Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
—Rick (Casablanca)

()()()

Blayze.

  The day had been stressful, to say the least.

  I hadn't meant to spook the girl, but she had to be Zanna (aka the girl in the hospital bed), right? She looked exactly like her without all the bandages and tubes, of course.

  The girl had been pissed when she'd caught me in her bedroom (Zanna's bedroom) looking through her underwear drawer.

  So, she had to be Zanna.

  At the moment, I was standing alone in a hospital room with Zanna's comatose body. This made me feel kind of depressed, seeing her in this condition. She'd been walking home alone, they say? I would've given her a ride then if I'd known who she was, but I hadn't known a Zanna that went to Wayward High.

  Perhaps I had horrible observational skills.

  I took a seat on the chair by the door.

  All I started to think about was how weird this whole thing was. And what about that one thing that happened when I'd touched her arm? That was freaky. I almost peed in my pants. It was as if my hand went through her arm.

  Then the way she went through the wall when she left the room a little while ago. I hadn't seen that kind of shit since Casper the Friendly Ghost.

  "Blayze!"

  I jumped at the sound of her voice.

  She was back.

  "You need to explain to me how that gir—I mean me... How did I end up in that hospital bed?"

  So she is Zanna, I thought.

  Looking at her, I saw that she looked stressed.

  Not that it was unnecessary, she had every reason to feel stressed.

  I founded myself scratching the back of my neck. It was a nervous tick, and I rarely got nervous, much less around a girl. "You got hit by a car," I simply stated.

  She didn't say anything.

  She took a glance at the body.

  I didn't miss the slump of her shoulders.

  She then shoe-gazed a little bit before looking back up at me and asking, "What was I doing when I got hit?"

  At first I didn't get what she was trying to say, but then it came to me. "You were walking home from school and while you'd been crossing the street..."

  I didn't have to finish my sentence.

  She got the gist.

  Neither of us said much after that, and I couldn't help but glance at her. We'd went to the same school? I didn't see how she could've gone unnoticed by me. She wasn't bad looking. She was pretty with her red hair, pale skin, and soft brown eyes. I've dated a few gingers, but she topped the cake on looks. Eh, that was weird. How could I be looking at her like this, when she was...

  I couldn't explain.

  Nevertheless, I was about to suggest on leaving when the door opened.

  "Blayze?"

  It was my dad. He was wearing the typical doctor's outfit; blue scrubs and the white coat. He was holding a clipboard in his hand. The look on his face when he saw me, was a look of surprise and... Surprise.