Chapter 33 - Find Me, Save Me

K L A U S

There can't be a moment of peace or vulnerability in the world we live in and it drives me mad. My child is in danger and though I know Julianna would protect her at all costs, there's still a fear that lies that it somehow won't be enough. It's taking every ounce of discipline that I have not to lose my mind and kill everyone in my path. I'm pacing back and forth across the foyer in the compound, my mind racing with different suspects. At this point it could be anyone and that is what terrifies me.

The small wooden coffee table closest to me suffers my anger as I pick it up and throw it across the room. As it hits the wall and shatters into a thousand small pieces, Elijah ducks under the falling mess with a worried Kol following closely behind.

"Niklaus, tell me that this is not true," Elijah pleads.

"I didn't want to believe it myself, but she's gone," I choke out.

"How could you have let her slip right from under your nose!" Kol lurches forward at me but Elijah holds him back.

"Trust me, brother, if I would have known about the intruder I can assure you they'd be dismembered and burned alive," I seethe. Kol gives me a look of disappointment as he runs his hands through his hair in distress.

"Where is Marcellus? I haven't seen the pest in months," Elijah narrowed his eyes as he waits for my response. In all honesty, Marcel would never be capable of pulling something like this. He's weak minded, and he would never hurt Julianna after she saved his life. Especially now that she's carrying a child.

"It wasn't Marcel, he isn't even in the state," I answer.

"It had to be someone that knew of the child," Elijah frowns.

"We kept the poor girl locked in here for months, how could anyone know about the child except for family," Kol comments. A sudden name appears in my head as Kol says 'family'. Someone with an untrustworthy past.

"We're going to pay her brother a quick visit," I sigh. "He's the only one besides us that knows of my child."

"Do you really think it would be Adrian, her own brother?" Rebekah questions in surprise as she walks into the room.

"I don't know who to trust anymore, let alone her brother who doesn't quite have a clean record," I pull my car keys out of my pocket and storm out of the room. As I'm reaching for the doorknob, a hand grasps onto mine.

"I'm not going to let you torment him when you don't get the answer you want," Rebekah eyes me. "I'm going to accompany you so that you don't do anything you'll regret."

"I don't need a sitter," I respond with annoyance.

"What would you do if you were to kill him?" she questions. "Julianna would never forgive you."

"Fine," I agree only to end the conversation. I need Julianna and my child back under this roof, safe and warm. Each passing minute that they're gone my heart aches and my mind continues to spin. How could I have been so careless last night. Almost twenty-four hours ago I had the center of my world on my lap and now she's gone.

My thoughts are cut short when I try stepping foot outside of the building. Anger consumes my entire being as I slam my fist onto the invisible barrier in front of me. I still try walking out only to hit the barrier again.

"It's the witches," I snarl in fury. Rebekah darts forward and tries to go out but she's blocked as well. I run to every exit of the compound and try leaving but the barrier is wrapped around the whole building. I finally give up on trying to escape and rest my head against the invisible wall. I could hear my sibling argue over what to do, but I couldn't get myself to focus. I reach into the inside of my pocket and pull out my phone. I skim through the contacts and frown as I press the one I'm looking for, a harsh and demanding voice answers and I sigh.