Chapter 26 - Broken

Previously:

"Nik, I'm fine. It's you I'm worried about," I stand up from the floor with Klaus' arm hanging over my shoulders. All of his body weight was leaning on me as he held onto me for support. As we both hobble out of the basement, I feel my blood boil each step we take. I'm beyond angry at Adrian and his group of minions. I will repay them for what they did to Klaus and I promise I will show no mercy in doing so. I don't know what they did to him, but they completely broke him. And I know he'll get better, but being down here for two weeks with nothing but getting tortured really did something to him.

"I promise you, Nik, I will make them pay for what they did to you."

Whatever happened down here, happened for too long. I don't know how often he was tortured but I do know that it was two weeks too long, and I can't wait to destroy them once I get my hands on them.

...

I deeply sighed as I pressed my hand on Klaus' hot forehead. He's currently lying in bed, completely exhausted and broken from whatever torture he went to. I found a hotel just outside of the French Quarter and I checked us in under fake names to prevent anyone from finding us. Taking extra precautions, I cloaked us to prevent Adrian's minion, Cora, from finding us. Klaus needed to rest and after what they did to him he needs it more than ever. On our way over to the hotel, we had an accident, or some accidents. Klaus being denied of blood for two weeks obviously led him to recklessly drain a few bodies in allies. Sure he was now fine physically, but mentally, he's in a bad state. I've never seen him like this, so broken and vulnerable. He's more paranoid now than he ever was before.

"Oh, Nik," I smooth back his hair and lean forward to press a soft kiss on his head before standing up and heading out of the bedroom. I made sure to close the door behind me because Im about to make a call that will echo off the walls. He's sleeping like the dead and hopefully I don't wake him.

Taking my phone out of my back pocket, I scroll through my contacts until I find the recently added number I put in just before I left the compound with Klaus. I found documents sitting on a counter with Adrian's name and number so I copied his number into my phone. Without a second thought, I click on his name and my phone pulls up the call. Leaning onto one leg, with the ringing phone pressed to my ear, I stare out into the night city views of New Orleans from the penthouse suite I compelled for Klaus and I, patiently waiting for Adrian to answer the call.

"Adrian Duquette, whom am I speaking with?"

"I think you know who," my voice drops with venom unintentionally.

"Ah, Julianna," I can feel him smile through the phone and my blood boils. "I see you've escaped, along with your pet."

"What did you do to him?" I seethe.

"How is he doing?" Adrian asks arrogantly. I'd do anything to punch him right now.

"He's fine," I hesitantly say. It's not a lie, but it's not the truth either.

"Surprising," Adrian chuckles. "After what we did to him, I expected him to be far from fine."

"What did you do to him," instead of a question, it comes out more as a demand.

"Cora has a few tricks up her sleeve," he chuckles to himself once again as if he's telling jokes of the century. "Mind tricks. Along with beatings to get what we wanted, but he wouldn't give in."

"What do you want from him? From us?"

"You, of course," he says as if it's obvious. "Julianna, your my sister, and at one point I loved you but you're not you anymore. You're not who you used to be."