Chapter 28 - Is it Too Late?

J U L I A N N A

I don't know what's wrong with me. One minute I'm deathlessly scared and the next I'm making out with Klaus as if we didn't just get chased by wolves.

We were still in the water, behind the crystal clear water falling over the rock. It was cold but our bodies were flush against each other.

As if the cold affected us anyways.

"Nik," I breathe as I pull away from his lips. "We need to get back to your siblings, they must be worried on why we're taking so long."

His lips lingered on my neck and he groaned in frustration.

"Unfortunately, love," Klaus sighed and leaned back. "You're right. We'll have to finish this later."

"Why am I even in this situation?" I ask more to myself. "We just outran an enraged pack of wolves and-"

I was cut off by Klaus' laughter.

"I always assumed it was my words that got you flustered," he smiled and pressed his warm lips to my forehead. That was true.

"Alright, we need to leave," I change the subject and duck down into the water. Klaus followed after me and we swam to the edge of the creek. Once I stepped out of the water, my clothes weighed on me and I sighed in annoyance.

"We have no clothes, no car, our phones don't work," I list off all my complaints and Klaus rolls his eyes.

"You seem to forget what we are capable of," Klaus points out. I wave my hand over the ground in attempt to do an easy spell but nothing happens.

"My magic is still disabled," I mumble. "Do you think it's gone forever?" I question in fear. I would be devastated.

"Not likely, my love," Klaus answers. His eyes flicker to me in reassurance, but all peace leaves his face when his eyes land on my arms. I curiously look down and a gasp leaves my mouth. Klaus speeds over to me and grips my arm, examining the dark veins protruding from underneath my paled and clammy skin.

"Nik," I whisper in fear. I suddenly feel all the warmth leave my face as black spots begin to block my vision. I don't even realize I'm falling until I see Klaus lurch towards me as everything around me blurs and all I'm able to see is Klaus' terrified eyes and swamp green trees. Then I see nothing.

..

The sound of birds chirping caused me to slightly squint open my eyes. The sun was beaming and everything around me was green.

I press my palms into the soft earthy soil beneath me and lift myself up to wander around. Somehow

I suddenly realize where I am - home.

This was a spot in the forest near my house that my family used to visit all the time. Countless memories filled my mind, good and bad. I always came here as an escape from when things got too difficult in my reality. The grayed rock decorated with moss still sat in the same place overlooking the cliff with the vast view of more green trees and a waterfall in the distance. Nothing has changed whatsoever, in the past seven hundred years since I've last been here. I have a feeling deep down, that something is not right.

But why am I here now?

My house should be north of where I'm standing. If I just run straight into the woods and past all the trees, I should land in my front yard. I try using my vampire speed to get there quicker, but it's not there. I break off into a run, using regular human speed. My heart rate accelerates each step I take and I don't know whether it's because I'm scared out of my mind or if it's because I'm running out of breath from running.