11) End It All

Toxic

  The city was quiet and at what seemed to be a restful ease. Vast was presumably off the streets locked in a room far away from anyone, Beast had been shipped off and Nightmare had vanished for a few days. Sirens could still be heard there were still normal everyday crimes happening. Criminals weren’t going to rest just because Vast had been arrested. If anything Toxic would have assumed it would have picked up.

  But as it turned out no one really seemed to care that there was an absence in super villains in town. It unnerved Toxic though he knew that power void would soon be fought over to be filled and super villains would turn up dead soon if Vast didn’t return. It was what happened when crime lords or villains left, disappeared, arrested or killed. A blood bath was just the next in the course of events to balance out power again.

  Toxic let out a sigh wishing he’d listened to Vast, it seemed every time he went against that man something bad happened. Vast was not what Toxic expected. He didn’t expect a loving brother, over emotional and insecure. Toxic wasn’t sure what he expected, he’d hoped for a heartless bastard with a killer smile.

  The hero watched his cousin fly the skies looking for any sign of Vast or Clover. So far two days had past and there wasn’t any sign of them. Toxic was able to keep it from hitting the papers but he didn’t know how much longer he could hold it off. He needed to get rid of the threat before Nightmare moved or the general public panicked.

  Glimmer landed beside Toxic and took a breath through clenched teeth her hands were balled into fists. “I can’t find them.” She said. Toxic looked at her.

  “I know.” He said simply.

  “Where in the hell could they be?” She growled. Toxic sighed tiredly and shook his head.

  “Language and I’d assume home.” He told her.

  “I’m not in the mood for your censorship Mave.” Glimmer snapped glaring at him.

  “Just keep looking.” Toxic advised.

  “We need help if people start dying it’ll be on our hands…” She said quoting Vast with a haunting tone. “How did that monster even sire children? What woman in their right mind would ever go to bed with Phantom?” She questioned for the seventh time that day.

  “He could have lied about his parents. Phantom was- is…he is a well-known villain.” Glimmer continued. “He must have been lying Phantom would never have children.” Toxic sighed at that.

  “Vast said he wanted them to become his successors.”

  “I don’t care that evil person could never get anyone to ever love him!” Glimmer shouted out angrily. “And-And you said yourself Vast isn’t too bad when he’s Kieran.” She persisted and Toxic only sighed.

  “Just keep looking Kate.” Glimmer glared at him just as Trent ran up stopping for a moment to catch his breath.

  “They found him.” He rasped.

  “Where!?” Toxic demanded.

Vast

  Vast ran for it, cursing silently at whatever god was listening. His cloths were shredded he wasn’t even sure how his shirt was still hanging on. Vast jumped and scrambled up the chain link fence and vaulted over it. He landed and slid on the wet ground as the gash on his thigh screamed out in pain as it slid on the concrete.

  Vast hissed in pain but kept going, he couldn’t afford to lose him not now. Not when Glimmer and Toxic were just behind him. He was still kicking himself for running straight into Toxic’s squad. He’d bolted around a corner taking a short cut when he rammed right into the lead marksman. They attacked him and he barely escaped with his life and his cloths.

  It took him nearly an hour to lose them and then half an hour longer to find Nightmare’s trail again. Vast knew it was only a matter of time before he caught a glimpse of Glimmer or Toxic in the skies. He couldn’t afford them finding Nightmare before he did.

  Vast headed toward the town’s main square he’d caught sight of Nightmare making his way there and he knew there were so many people there; a local festival was taking place there. It was New Orleans after all and March, The colors of green, purple and gold was everywhere, with streamers and beads people yelling and celebrating and splurging on the thing they were going to give up for Lent.

  Vast saw them then, Toxic flying just ahead of him, and his gaze up ahead where Glimmer was clearly following someone. She kept close to the buildings a glare on her face as blue sparks arched from her body. Vast hurried his pace realizing they’d found Nightmare and he was getting closer to the heart of the party.

  The crowds started getting denser and harder to run through Vast had to slow down while Toxic continued on shoving his way through the crowd annoyed he’d lost his mask in the scuffle with Toxic’s Squad. It seemed to take ages before he managed to catch another glimpse of Nightmare who now stood by himself with a ring of nothing around him as people slowly backed up, Clover’s mother’s mask covering the wicked smile on his face and he still wore the same black jeans and green shirt he put on the night of the brake in.

  Glimmer landed in front of Nightmare glaring at him. She wore the white bathing suit like attire, which always seemed to scream ‘whore’ to Vast. Nightmare turned his gaze to the hero and tilted his head.

  “Hello Glimmer.” He greeted her.

  “Nightmare,” She responded.

  “I’ve watched you; you’re a lot like me you know.” He said getting right to the point.

  “I’m nothing like you!” Glimmer hissed. Nightmare laughed lightly with zero humor.

  “But you are Glimmer; we’ve both been hurt by the same man tortured in different ways but still broken none the less. We follow younger men into situations that could get us killed, but we follow because they are family.” He spoke calmly. Glimmer growled and stepped toward him while Nightmare took a step back scolding her.

  “Now, now Glimmer you should know better than to corner a wild, pissed off, animal.” Glimmer hesitated at that and glanced over to where Toxic was standing. Nightmare took that moment of distraction and reached out towards her. Vast acted then and rushed forward shoving Glimmer away from Nightmare. She fell back skidding across the ground. He turned to Nightmare.

  “What the hell is your problem?! How would your mother react to this?” He motioned towards Nightmare wildly. Nightmare considered Vast quietly for a moment.

  “She would smile.” He spoke finally. Vast moved to grabbed Nightmare who easily evaded.

  “I understand how your powers work Vast I’m not going to let you touch me.” He laughed as he danced around Vast gracefully, like a dancer. Vast watched Nightmare’s movements the quietness of the crowd was unnerving, all had vacant stares; they were all under Nightmare’s spell he could begin killing them at any point. Vast took in a shaky breath watching Nightmare enjoy the tense standoff. Vast had to do something soon or everyone was going to die. “Clover, listen to me.” Vast tried again.

~~~~

NOTE: The next two final chapters will be alternate endings they will both be short-ish and I hope to get them out this weekend if my schedual allows.