Headline One: Break in at the Gallery!

Kieran (Vast) Winters

Getting in was always the easy part...

Vast kept to the shadows, away from the streetlights, and remained still in the darkest place on the street; granted, he'd had to break a streetlight to get it that way. But still, he hid from any who would casually look his way as he waited for his older brother, Clover, to give the all-clear to head in.

They had been canvasing a prestigious art gallery with a fancy name in some language Vast didn't know for weeks. They were known for their jewels, gems, and precious metals. The massive brick building sat among other upscale buildings, all roughly the same height. It sparkled in the night for the special unveiling of some new exhibit.

Security was always tight, but there was more security that night because of the pertinacious event, which meant more could go unnoticed rather than less. Clover could make himself invisible to the naked eye and surveillance, so he scouted ahead alone.

Clover had scouted ahead of the heist since he could make himself invisible to the naked eye and surveillance. Vast wasn't so lucky with his powers. To hide as he was doing now didn't require complete stillness but the less that he moved the better; nothing too apparent, or outside viewers would see the shadows moving strangely.

He watched the rich folk pour into the front entrance of the gallery from his hiding spot, a little way down the street leaning against the brick wall of some law firm. Each one loudly pontificating about one thing or another to the others like their lives depended on it.

And as fun as that was, he was getting bored. He glanced down the street both ways for his brother who could have decided to go in alone; not that Vast could blame him since Vast was the clumsier of the two.

Vast would be the first to admit he was indeed a little reckless. They'd had a very narrow call last month when they'd been trying to hijack a Labs supply van; though putting a life or two on the line is always a possibility when the superhero hunting them carried the name Toxic. The hero had followed them after a skirmish between Toxic and Vast after he snuck up on the brothers. The villains narrowly escaped that night it made them both think a little harder before this heist.

But Vast was getting bored just waiting around for big brother

But Vast was getting bored just waiting around for big brother. So, he slipped on his mask. A full faced mask, only showing his mouth. His mask was the same one his father wore. It was a risky move but potentially profitable to wear it so brashly as Vast had been doing for the past month on a handful of heists. It had been found some years back by some guy and was donated to a museum that had it on a traveling exhibit, Vast had taken the opportunity of it passing through the city to nab it. Vast thought that it was better to keep it close despite the risk hanging over it. He still loved the familiar way it felt pressed against his skin. He felt almost safe.

The villain ran his fingers through his chocolate brown hair he'd got from his mother and took a final glance up and down the street before pushing away the thought of his brother passed out somewhere in the same way he'd pushed off the wall, annoyed aggression.