Headline Three: Dipping Deep into the Corruption

Soooo... Yay the first fresh chapter and with it comes the first redaction.

~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~

Kieran (Vast) Winters

Later that week Vast and Clover drove out to another safe house near the edge of the city while the horizon threatened to swallow the sun. Each on their own motorcycle, the pair wove through the traffic and picked up speed when it started to thin the further away from the urban center they got. Vast had spent his time trying to convince Clover to take a break, but he wasn't having any of it. So, they were off to meet with Heather, one of the first to lend them a place to stay when they first arrived in the city years back.

The cottage sat on a small piece of land cultivated into farms with the building itself covered in vines and foliage that sprang wild with flowers. A picturesque, dreamy world complete with the fair maiden. Vast and Clover dismounted as a tall red head wrapped in flowing thin fabrics came out to greet them. Two small light blue birds sat on her right shoulder.

"Heather," Vast greeted as he and Clover walked up to her, smiling lightly as she kissed him on the cheek

"Kieran, it is good to see you and Coy again. But is something wrong? The sun isn't even down yet." She was almost the same height as Vast.

"Coy was in the lead." Vast smirked when Clover scrunched up his eyebrows at the comment. He passed by Heather and Vast, heading directly inside.

"Impatient?" Heather questioned.

"In the sense that the sooner it's over the better?" Vast shrugged.

"Are you sure you want to keep doing this? Maybe it would be better to leave things undisturbed."

"I tried talking to him, he's not listening anymore."

"Surely there can't be that much more to find."

"Yeah, we're getting to the end of the second time we were at the labs." Vast explained and couldn't help as his mind wandered to his knife, feeling a twinge of guilt for losing it as they followed Clover into the dwelling.

The inside was a mini paradise for birds with plants in pots cluttering the walls and creeping towards wide windows and within those plants were songbirds of vibrant color, chirping and singing their songs, but most of them were quietly hanging out. Clover was already sitting at a large round table with Bella, a dark-skinned woman with an infectious smile that seemed to require every muscle of her face no matter how small the smile. She'd already dished out a sweet roll to Clover.

"Hey Kieran, good to see you."

"Bella! I didn't know you were in town. Here to stay awhile?"

"Maybe, I'm here to restock on some things before I'm off on the road again. I want to head down to the coast to see the whale migrations. From there I head back up north to be with my brother for the hunting season."