Headline Six: The Possible Dangers of an After Burn

Clover (Coy) Winters
Earlier in the day

The headaches after Vast dips into Clover's head were always the worst. A ringing, like a far-off scream threatened to split open his head if it got much louder. But then Vast stormed out of Heather's like he was the one who had a reason to be mad the session went poorly. Maybe he did...

Clover stared at the closed door, wishing he could just remember on his own and not have to put his brother through traumatic past events. But Clover had to know what was causing the darkness in him, that bitter anger at the back of his throat. It had a root, a reason, Clover needed to know what it was.

"I'd guess things didn't go well?" Bella asked from her spot at the table. Clover sighed and looked towards Heather, but never making direct contact. Heather took the hint and stood up, leaving the room. "Kieran will have to come back to take care of her." Bella said as Clover slid in next to her.

"I'll remind him," Clover sighed and leaned back. The headache at the back of his head steadily grew, spreading through his brain like something broke and it was leaking out. To distract himself and to ensure he doesn't forget to tell Vast to make sure Heather's memories are clean, he pulled out his phone and after a few moments was just staring at Mave Sanders number. Maybe Vast had been right and Clover just needed to take a step back from the whole mess and let himself rest for a bit. Plus, Mave wasn't hard on the eyes that he was usually the one the Labs had interacting with the press, though it could also be that he was easily charismatic in front of the camera too.

"Bella... Kind of an awkward question but... Are you with anyone?" Clover asked.

"What? Honey I'm way out of your league. You'd need at least another few inches for me to be seen dead with you." Bella laughed at her own short joke. Clover rolled his eyes and sighed. "Sorry, sorry, I couldn't help myself." She then took a moment to compose herself before speaking again. "I'm not in anything serious buy yeah I got someone I like whose feelings are mutual." It then seemed to dawn on Bella why Clover would be asking.

"...Wait... Are you getting into dating?"

"...I don't know... kinda..." Clover wasn't sure what would happen if he actually asked Mave out. It could be a trap for all he knew, Mave did work with the Labs so there was a chance that he knows about Clover's time in the camps and what he did to escape. But then Clover thought about his smile and really hoped he was just being paranoid with that train of thought.

"It'd be good for you, Kieran runs around with all his 'flowers'," Bella used air quotes for Vast's stupid nickname for his endless girls willing to support him. "you should have your... I don't know... hounds or wait! Maybe toys? Like boy toys but just drop the boy part cause that's creepy."

"I don't- that's not-" Clover sputtered but Bella burst into laughter again causing Clover to slump in his seat and wish he hadn't said anything.

"I'm kidding, I'm kidding. Phew, you should have seen your face."

"I'm done talking to you about this," Clover sighed. The conversation only mildly distracting him from the throbbing pain in his head.

"Then just listen, You should text whoever it is whose number you just spent five minutes staring doe eyed at. You know you want to you just want someone's permission. Or you wouldn't have asked me and just done it already." She did have a point. Clover sent a simple message before tucking his phone away again and sat up straight again. Seconds later he was having second thoughts and that just made his headache worse.

"I sometimes wish I spoke more about my family with you."

"Well, you didn't trust how much I trusted you." Bella smiled. "You'll figure it out or you'll learn to control your afterburn without it." Clover didn't remember having an afterburn when he was younger.