7) Bloody Violin

Lilibeth

  The sweet melody flowed down the hall disrupting Lilibeth from her work, she repaired books. Her home was proof of that; it was filled with books of all kind was heaven and her neighbors so far have been nice enough to understand she liked quiet. They liked it just as much as she did, or so she thought.

  The melody was a prudence and evil thing at first. It wasn’t a song at all just a mush of notes clumsily strung together. Lily had half a mind to go knock on her neighbor’s door and demand he be quiet. She’d seen the two who lived in the particular apartment before. They kept to themselves, not bothering a soul.

  However a few times there would be screaming or faint moaning. The older looking of the two explained his brother had health problems and had a hard time sleeping among other things. Lily didn’t question it; they never disturbed her, not until today.

  She wasn’t aware of either of them being musically talented; if talented is what you would call that racket. But soon talent wasn’t good enough of a word for the beautiful music escaping from that place. It was pleasant and whimsical; Lily had never heard such a thing before. Only in her imagination could she think of something as wonderful.

  She peeked out her door to the closed one across from her where the music was coming from. She didn’t understand it herself, but she felt drawn to that place. Even if the tune was light and airy she felt the person playing the instrument wasn’t smiling.

  Lily stepped from her home and out into the dim lit hallway. The carpet lining the floor was rough against her bare feet, it was light blue. The walls were white while the lights lined the area where the ceiling met the wall. The doors were grey as they were aluminum metal, they were light like a wood door but they were also solid making them hard to get through. Each studio and apartment was equipped with dead bolts. Lily didn’t make anything near the asking price for rent but her parents were swimming in money and they paid for it.

  Lily reached out to knock on the door but instead jumped as the calm melody was briefly interrupted by the elevator’s quick chime, announcing its arrival. Mr. Winters stepped out his cloths were covered in dirt along with his hair. He hurried forward Lily jumped back when he approached.

  “What are you doing?” He questioned, Lily stumbled over her words for a moment. She was small barely five feet tall and had mousy brown hair, she even wore glasses. It wasn’t everyday someone like Kieran Winters talked to her.

  “Your b-brother he…he…” Her words caught in her throat as Mr. Winters frowned turning his head towards the music.

  “That’s odd…It’s been years.”

  “Years?” Lily choked out; she couldn’t understand why someone who could make something so amazing would ever stop let alone ignore it for years. Mr. Winters looked at her. His brown eyes were bright almost yellow. Lily’s mother said hers were the color of chocolate, Lily was envious.

  “Yes, years,” Replied and crossed his arms across his chest.

  “Is it because of the sickness?” Lilibeth inquired turning her head to the side watching Mr. Winters’ expression; it was concerned and confusion as he watched the door.

  “What?” He turned his gaze to her, “Oh right, yes of course.” He said acting polite but Lily could see his mind was elsewhere so she gave a slight nod.

  “I should be getting back to my work.” She looked back up to him and he was already opening the door. Lily caught a glimpse of Mr. Winters’ brother; his eyes were closed as he caressed the instrument with such care and delicacy. She couldn’t help but stare until the very last moment when the door such in her face.