Chapter 12

When they got back inside, Mary Margaret was there, cooing over her granddaughter. David walked up and put an arm around her shoulders. "Isn't she beautiful?" Mary Margaret whispered, trying not to wake the sleeping infant. "Just like her mother and grandmother," David replied, kissing Mary Margaret on the cheek. She smiled and rocked Sayloire gently.

The two looked up to see Killian sitting on Emma's bed. As he leaned over to kiss her forehead, she opened her eyes and said "boo," before giggling when he jumped back in surprise. He smiled and leaned down to give her an actual kiss this time, and it was a long, sweet kiss. They were enjoying the moment, but then Regina cleared her throat. "Some of us are trying to eat here," she joked.

Everyone laughed and Emma sat up and scooted over so that Hook also fit comfortably on the bed and everyone enjoyed their breakfast in a content silence. Emma smiled at the warm feeling of family that was present in this room. This breakfast reminded her of all the breakfasts she had shared with David, Mary Margaret, and Henry at their apartment. Killian and Regina occasionally visited those breakfasts, so their presence made the moment even better.

As these thoughts were running through her mind, she started to wonder where Henry was. She assumed he was at Regina's house, but usually he wanted to come to everything, to be a hero along with everyone else. "Where's Henry?" she asked Regina. "He's at home," she responded. "He didn't want to come see the baby?" Emma asked. "Well, he probably would, but I didn't want to wake him up at 3 o'clock this morning, and he still thinks you have at least 5 months more of being pregnant," Regina pointed out.

"That's a good point," Emma laughed. "I could go get him if you want," David offered. Emma could tell he wasn't good with being cooped up in a hospital room for long periods of time. "I'd like that," she responded. "I'll go with him," Regina said. The two of them left, leaving Killian, Emma, and Mary Margaret alone in the room.

Killian moved to the recently vacated chair by Emma's bed and reclined it so he could take a small nap. He was just getting settled when Mary Margaret decided to give the two of them a parenting pep talk. "You know, this is a lot harder than it seems," she began, "And it's a lot of work. You have to be ready for it. You two are so new together, and now you're throwing another little person in the mix, and just make sure you're—". Emma cut her off.

"Mom, we've got this," she assured her with a smile. Mary Margaret took a deep breath. "Ok. I'm just going to have to get used to the idea of being a grandma. A grandma with a baby nearly the same age as her grandchild, but a grandma just the same," Mary Margaret responded.

With that out of the way, Mary Margaret was silent long enough for Killian to fall asleep, finally. Emma was glad he was finally getting some rest, but she had slept most of this day away already, so she was getting tired of doing nothing. She wasn't bored for very long, because pretty soon Dr. Whale payed a visit. He was just performing a routine checkup on her and the baby, and after he reported that everyone seemed healthy, David and Regina returned with Henry.

"Mom! You're ok, right?" Henry asked, barely containing himself from hugging her. "I'm fine, come here kid," she said, opening her arms. He fell into them willingly and held on for a few moments. "So, when can I meet my little sister?" Henry asked. "You can hold her now if you want," Emma said. "As long as you're sitting down and promise to be careful," Regina warned jokingly, picking up Sayloire and bringing her to Henry.

"When can we know what you named her?" Henry asked as he gently rocked his little sister. "If you can wake up the pirate, I'll tell you now," Emma teased. David walked over and punched Killian on the shoulder, forcing him awake with a grunt. "I didn't wake you up like that, mate," Killian grumbled, "I'd appreciate you returning the favor." Emma laughed before explaining that it was time to tell everyone the baby's name, so he hadn't been awoken without reason.

"Alright then," he said, "Are you telling them, or shall I?" "I think I'll tell them the part I came up with and you tell them the part you came up with," Emma suggested. Killian nodded, so Emma began. "Her first name is Sayloire, because Killian loves sailing," Emma announced. "And her middle name is Heiland, because that's Dutch for saviour, like Emma saved this town," Killian concluded. Everyone clapped, glad to know her name.

"I think that's a great name," Henry said. Everyone nodded and then Dr. Whale walked back in the room. "Woah, I'll pretend this isn't way over the visitor limit," he said, "Also, how would you people like to go home?" Emma breathed a sigh of relief; "I'd love that." He smiled. "Glad I can make your wish come true. The checkup we performed earlier on Emma and the baby looked good, so as soon as you can pack up you're free to go." Everyone cheered and started rounding things up.

Killian helped Emma stand up and she went to the bathroom to get dressed. Henry was still rocking Sayloire when Regina walked over and conjured up a tiny little outfit for the baby to wear. Within a few minutes, everything was packed and Emma and Sayloire were ready to go home. A nurse came to escort them out with a wheelchair, as was mandatory for patients being released, no matter how hard Emma tried to refuse.

The whole group squeezed into David and Regina's vehicles to go back to Emma and Hook's house, where they planned to work a lot on the nursery. As wide awake as Emma had been at the hospital, as soon as they arrived back at their house she was exhausted. "Hey guys, I'm really sorry but I don't think I'll be of any use working on the nursery until I get a little more sleep," she explained to the group. Killian smiled and put an arm around her. "You say that like you thought we were going to let you work anyway, love," he told her.

"The pirate has a point. We can't have you straining yourself right now," David agreed. With that, Emma took Sayloire and they retired to the bedroom for naptime. Regina followed without asking, but Emma didn't mind; she was going to need help unpacking a lot of the stuff from the hospital, especially with all the baby gifts she received.

As Regina got busy unpacking, wordlessly knowing what Emma needed, Emma lay Sayloire down on a pillow on one side of the bed and then climbed in on the other side and closed her eyes. However, no sooner had Emma calmed down enough to almost fall asleep, Regina decided to start a conversation. "When I first met Captain Guyliner, I never would've pegged him as the protective father and sweet husband, but I must say he seems to be stepping into both of those roles very nicely. I'm actually proud of him, but don't tell him that," Regina said with a smile. "Me neither. The only thing I wanted to do the first day I met him was kill him and get back to Storybrooke, but fate has a funny way of changing things," Emma responded, still on the brink of sleep. "He still has his moments where he's that charmingly annoying pirate, and I love him more for it," she continued.

"Blegh. I was just trying to compliment you on changing two people for the better, not hear your whole love story," Regina teased. "Who's the other person I changed?" Emma asked. "Me, of course," Regina responded, "I mean, Robin and Henry have helped a lot too, but having a best friend means more than you could ever know. Thank you for everything Emma." Emma's eyes opened. "No problem. Why the sappy friendship speech now?" She asked. "Well, you and your happy little family are now Gold's target, so you never know what could happen. I'll try my best to protect you, and you know your parents and Hook will do the same, but some of us could get hurt trying. I haven't seen Rumple act like this since we came back to this world. He's lost it, and I'm honestly afraid for the safety of everyone," Regina explained.

Emma grabbed Sayloire and held her tight, rocking her gently. "We've dealt with this man plenty of times. I know we can handle him," Emma reassured her. "Exactly Emma, we can handle him. Without you, I'm the only magical one on this side of the fight, and there's only so much two men with swords can do against the Dark One. Without you, I don't know how well this fight will end," Regina said. "You fought him for years before I was even born," Emma reasoned. "No, I didn't fight him back then. We were on the same side before this curse," Regina explained. She took a deep breath before continuing. "I'm sorry. I really didn't mean to worry you, this conversation was supposed to be nice and make you feel all warm and fuzzy, but I've never been very good at that, have I?" Regina went on, more to herself than Emma it seemed.

"It's okay. You can come back and help unpack and babysit later, but I really need a nap. You can take Sayloire for a little while if you want," Emma offered. Regina smiled and took the baby out of Emma's arms. She cooed soothing words to Sayloire as they left the room, shutting the door behind them. Finally, Emma could sleep.