Chapter 4

After this unsettling visit, the Crocodile evaporated into a cloud of smoke, his preferred method of transportation. Emma had told Killian that he could find some work to around the station until she stopped active duty, then David would be Sherriff and he could be the Deputy. Killian loved this idea, mainly because he could always protect Emma that way, though he would never tell her that; she would change her mind if he did.

David couldn't find anything to do in town, so he came back by the station. "You haven't left yet?" he groaned. "No, and I'm not going to," Killian replied with a smirk, but David could tell something was different about their banter. "Why not? And what's up with you two? You seem sad," David said. "Well, I'm not leaving because Emma has offered me a job here, and as for the other part, that's Emma's area of...expertise," Killian responded.

David looked at her expectantly, but she shook her head. Emma took a deep breath, "You and mom just meet us at our house tonight," Emma said. David raised his eyebrows, "Don't worry, I'm not cooking. I'll pick something up from Granny's," she joked, making David laugh. "Alright, just call me when you two are ready for us to come over," he said, "Wouldn't want to interrupt anything." He winked at Emma when he said that last part.

The day progressed in a slow and boring manner, considering there was absolutely nothing going on in Storybrooke right now. Well, nothing everyone knew about yet...

********************

Later that night, Mary Margaret and David came over to Emma and Hook's house. They were all sitting on couches, eating their grilled cheese sandwiches from Granny's, when Mary Margaret bought up the question: "What is it that you wanted to talk to us about?"

Emma was extremely uncomfortable with this whole situation, but telling her parents, who happened to have a kid that would be near the age of her child, was weirder than she could have imagined. To try to hide the part about her being pregnant, she was going to lightly sprinkle that in with the news of Rumplestilskin's threat.

"Gold stopped by the station today, while Killian and I were there alone. He heard a private conversation we were having about Killian's past, and found out some information that he wasn't intended to know," Emma started. She was fumbling, and Killian came to her rescue. "Swan is stumbling, but the basics of the situation are this: Milah was pregnant when the Crocodile killed her, Emma's pregnant now, and the Crocodile seems bound and determined to have my firstborn child." He said all of this nonchalantly, like he says everything, but there was an edge to it, partly caused by the fact that he was uncomfortable telling Prince Charming and Snow White that he got their daughter pregnant.

David and Mary Margaret stared with their mouths hanging open for a second, but then Mary Margaret's face broke into a smile. "You're pregnant?!?" She jumped up and hugged Emma. "I'm gonna be a grandmother! Woah..." she said. David was not caught up in the euphoria of becoming a grandparent, and was focusing on the issue at hand: Rumplestilskin wanting anything to do with Emma's child.

"How are we planning on stopping Gold?" he asked. Mary Margaret's face fell as she released Emma. "Well, I don't think it's much of a threat right now. I'm only 3 months along, and he wants the baby alive, so we have at least 6 months to figure this out," Emma reasoned. "But he's a devious little man," said David, "and you never know what tricks he has up his sleeve. He's notorious for gaining people's trust and then stabbing them in the back." Killian seemed to agree, but Emma really didn't think he would hurt her while she was pregnant, for fear of hurting the baby. Her main thought was what could Rumplestilskin want with Killian's baby?

Mary Margaret spoke up, breaking Emma's train of thought. "Do you think you and Killian can leave town?" she asked. "Neither of you came with the curse, either time, so hypothetically you should be able to leave the town without losing your memories. Emma, you have a life and an identity in New York. The two of you could live there until the baby's born, then Emma can put a protection spell on it and you can move back," she explained.

Killian perked up. "I don't particularly like the idea of leaving this town, but the protection spell is not a bad idea. Couldn't Emma do the same here?" he asked. "Well, she could but if the baby was born out of town she would have more time to cast the protection spell. If it's born here, you'll have to cast it immediately after the birth to ensure Gold doesn't get to it first. That could be dangerous for Emma," Mary Margaret said. "Regina can do it," Emma said. Everyone in the room broke into a smile. They had reached what seemed to be a perfect solution.

The next thing Emma had wanted to talk to them about was moving the wedding day. "So, I was thinking that we should get married pretty soon. Unless you guys want to buy me another wedding dress," she said, looking pointedly at David. Her dress had not been cheap, and he was shaking his head vigorously at the thought of spending that much money a second time. They all laughed at this, then they decided that they would get married a week from tomorrow. They were going to send out the invitations tomorrow, and by the time David and Mary Margaret left they had corrected the date on most of them.

When David and Mary Margaret left, taking little Neal with them, Emma and Mary Margaret hugged a few times and were talking baby talk to Neal. David walked over to Hook and patted him on the shoulder, making him wince. David laughed, then looked Killian in the eyes. "Congratulations," he said. Killian immediately broke into a smile, feeling proud to have earned David's blessing for this.

Killian and Emma saw them out and then got into bed. Ithad been a long day, and they were both exhausted. Emma lay with her head onKillian's bare chest, running her hands over his sculpted abdomen. "What wouldRumplestilskin want with your firstborn child?" she asked him. "I don't know,love," he replied. "Maybe he feels like I cheated him of his opportunity tohave more children because Milah ran away with me. I didn't kidnap her," hesaid suddenly looking down at Emma. "I know. I never thought you did," she toldhim. "I didn't know what terrible things the Crocodile might have said about mebefore I arrived here, but I just wanted you to know that out of all the badthings I've done in my life, forcing her to come with me was not one of them.She came, and fell in love with me, of her own free will," he explained. Sheshifted so her face was above his, then pressed a soft kiss to his lips. "Inever thought otherwise," she told him.