Chapter 9

Dr. Whale handed the baby off to one of the nurses, who wrapped her in a blanket before showing her to Emma, who was still sweating profusely and looked exhausted. Despite that, she held out her arms to hold their baby girl for the first time. Killian's hand moved to her rub her shoulder as he sat beside her on the small bed. The small family had a short moment of peace and quiet, which Killian was reveling in when Regina rushed in.

Emma and Regina simultaneously exhaled in relief, then Regina's face broke out in a smile, so happy to see her friend getting something she wanted. "This one's all mine," Emma joked. Regina nodded, then got serious and began the protection spell. There was silence in the hospital room while Regina concentrated, then all of a sudden there was a loud bang, followed by all the lights going out.

Emma's daughter started screaming and wiggling unhappily in her arms. She tried to quiet her to no avail, until all of a sudden there was a short silence, quickly replaced by a wail from Emma. "She's gone!" she sobbed. Regina's concentration was apparently broken when the lights went out, and that was long enough for Gold to grab the baby without anyone noticing so he could escape.

The lights came back on soon after this, but no one cared anymore. Emma was crying inconsolably with Killian on one side and Regina on the other. David ran in the room, his face paling at what he saw there. "I'm so sorry," he said, walking closer to Emma. When he got there, Killian shot up. Emma sniffled as she grasped for his hand. "Where are you going?" she asked. "I'm going to find the Crocodile," he said. "I don't know what he wants with my daughter, but whatever it is I'm not letting him get away with it. He's taken enough from me in my life, and this will not be one of them." He kissed Emma before leaving the room.

Emma shot a panicked glance at Regina, who stood up and ran after Hook. Emma felt a little better knowing that two of the strongest people she knew were going to work together and get her daughter back, but Rumplestilskin was the most ruthless, and he would do whatever was necessary to get what he wanted. She was worried, and knew she needed to get out of this hospital so she could help. David must have seen that in her face, because he sat beside her when they left. "Don't even think about trying to leave anytime soon," he told her.

"I have to," she said, "I can't let those two risk their lives if I'm not willing to do the same." He looked at her knowingly, but shook his head. "It's completely unreasonable for you to leave now. Dr. Whale can't let you go," he said, "You just gave birth. You need to rest." "So does my daughter, and Killian, and probably Regina, who also has a daughter to get back to," Emma shot back. "I understand that. Just rest for a few hours, and if you feel like leaving in the morning, I'll talk to Dr. Whale." David said. They argued this point for a few more minutes, but Emma really was exhausted so her eyelids fluttered shut eventually.