Chapter Twelve

EVERYONE became busy as the night drew in. The once quiet garden suddenly turned lively as a band played Ilocano folk songs which Nina could not comprehend but found pleasant to hear. Add to that the faint chatters and laughs from the guests' who came early.

"You looked so ethereal Ate Nina! Kuya will surely drool," she heard Natalie say while looking at her from the mirror's reflection.

"Ethereal?" She mockingly repeated as she gazed on her own reflection. She was sitting in front of the vanity.

"Yes, Ate! But something's missing," she heard her say as she saw her examining her from the reflection. She saw Natalie's eyes lit up as a an idea might have come up to her mind, "Wait for me Ate, I think I saw a pearl decorated headband from Lola Josephina's jewelry box. I'll go borrow that!" Said Natalie and hurriedly went out of her room before she could say something to stop her.

All she could ever do was sigh as she gazed back at her own reflection.

She opted for a simple look. A light dash of brown eyeshadow on her eyes which complemented her crystal clear brown eyes and that signature red lips of the nineties. She did not bother add a blush on her cheeks as it had her natural blush. A pair of pearl earrings on her ears which added a classic feel. Lastly, She wore a cream colored sabrina neck dress with lace trimmings.

She wanted to do a classic bun for her hair but decided not to and let her long jet black hair flow, hiding the embarrassing mark.

Neil's mark.

Her cheeks burned as her hand went to her neck, the part under her jawline. A warm sensation spread through her body the moment her fingertip touched that part of her skin. It added a speck of color on her cheek making her feel more unexplainably...vulnerable.

Gosh!

She absent-mindedly stared at her own reflection, maintaining that position till she heard a clearing of throat.

She felt goosebumps all over her body when she saw Neil standing at her back and looking at her through the mirror. She did not sense him coming. She saw him examining her, checking everything till an approving smile formed on his lips.

Those damn lips!

She was the first to look away.

"Are we needed outside?" She said which sounded like a whisper. She busied herself in putting all Natalie's makeup on the makeup kit bag in front of her.

"Lola asked me to let you wear her choker," she heard him say.

She took a quick glimpse at the mirror to check what he was referring to, but had locked eyes with Neil the moment she did.

She felt uncomfortable when she realized he had bridged their gap. Him standing just behind her, feeling his warmth on her back and his intoxicating scent lingering on her nose.

Dios Mio!

"Nina?"

She jerked the moment she felt his hand on her shoulder, sending a million little currents of sensation throughout her body.

She found herself swallowing a lump.

"Nina, are you okay?" were the next words she heard. She felt the back of his hand on her forehead.