Chapter Seven

1993...

"MISSUS Dela Rosa, you are next," the wedding organizer reminded her. She nervously tucked the loose strand of her hair on her ear, checked the bouquet of flowers she was holding, made a quick look at Mariella who was standing next to her who gave her an encouraging smile and took a deep breath as she walked her way to the church's entrance. The church where Enrico asked her to wait for him years ago.

She looked around inside the church and was greeted with different faces, all smiling and waiting for her to walk on the aisle. She felt jittery as she waited for her name to be called, her cue to walk.

She smiled the moment she took her first step on the aisle. Her eyes focused on the altar, not minding the flashes of lights coming from cameras.

Her steps almost faltered when her eyes met those familiar crystal clear orbs that still have that tingly effect to her heart.

Enrico.

She saw him giving her a smile which she reciprocated with a smile. A tear escaped from her eye. Her dream of walking in the aisle with Enrico waiting for her came true.

She felt like laughing and crying at the same time.

It felt like forever walking in the aisle while looking at him. Five more steps and she would be next to him, like she had always been. There was that heartbreaking truth that haunted her.

They could never be together.

Why?

A serious faced Neil blocked her view, hindering her from Enrico.

Her smile died as she reached the end of the aisle, walking to her designated place as the maid of honor. She took a quick look at Enrico who was now looking at his twin sister's turn walking on the aisle. She then looked at Mariella.

Genuine happiness.

Those are the words that Nina could best describe her best friend. She finally had that fairy tale come true. Who would have thought that Gerry, their bully classmate since high school would be Mariella's prince charming?

She witnessed how he teased Mariella to death. How he did all he could to get her attention. How he wanted to be right next to Mariella in every academic or extra-curricular event the latter would get herself into. How he stayed in their quiet town instead of snagging the best varsity scholarships in Manila and the chance to play at the ever-famous UAAP league.

It was all because of Mariella.

"I won't promise as promises are only meant for a day. I give you my all, as it is nothing less, but more." She heard Mariella vowed.

She could not help but let out a sad smile. Her eyes traced its way to Enrico.

Promises, those words tasted bitter on her tongue, deafening on her ears and heartbreaking.

Her gaze shifted to Neil whom she caught looking at her. He had that blank stare that have always kept her wondering.

Nothing less, but more, sounded soothingly sarcastic. For the past years, she knew how Neil tried and she rudely ignored it. He had by all chance made himself available as possible. Patiently coming at her dorm, dealt her ever changing moods, her aloofness and her cold heart on him.

The wedding had taken place without glitch. It started and ended without her even absorbing every detail of the wedding. Her mind had been wandering on her own personal glitch.

"Best?" was the call that hauled her out of her thoughts.

"Yes, Mariella?" she said as she plastered a smile on her face.