Chapter Seven

Dad came home during the middle of dinner that night. He came to the dinner table and placed a dark blue Gatorade in front of each kid.

"Nothing. Nothing at all. Nolan," he looked at me directly, "What?" I asked, mid stab in a baked potato. "I talked to the cashier at 7-Eleven," dad added on. I finished my stab and said, "And?" as I stuffed the rest of my cheesy potato in my mouth.

"And, there wasn't a shooting." He said. I dropped my fork in surprise.

"What?!" I exclaimed, "but, what are you talking about?! Of course there was. Why, why would I tell you there was a shooting, if there wasn't one?" I asked in disbelief.

"That's what I want to know Nolan," Dad said.

"But, why would I lie to you Dad?" I asked him.

There was an edgy silence filled by the clank of forks against plates until Riley tried to lighten the mood. "So, what electives are you all going to take? School does start in one week." Our dinner conversation consisted of school and what we were looking forward to but, I was silent most of the time.

I barely slept that night. Between Sam's snoring and the recent events, I don't blame myself.

The next couple days were, quite, uneventful. Well, except one, minor thing.

My bike. I forgot it. The day after the 7-Eleven incident I decided to go back and get it. When I got to 7-Eleven, I didn't see my bike anywhere, I circled the place twice before deciding to ask the cashier inside. I walked in and heard the familiar 'ding' of the bell.

"Hello, welcome to 7-Eleven, may I help you?" Asked a rehearsed, unenthusiastic voice. I looked at a tall, brown haired boy. I walked over to the counter and said "Actually, yes. I left my bike here yesterday, and it's not here anymore."

He looked at me and said, "I'm sorry, I haven't seen your bike, Sir,"

His name tag read, 'Dean'. He then continued, "but if you leave you phone number, and anyone finds it, I can have someone contact you." Well it's worth a shot. Dean got a piece of paper and a pencil out, and I wrote down my number.

Then I decided to do some sleuthing. "Hey, so do you happen to know the girl who was working yesterday, around this time?"

Dean looked at me curiously. "What was her name?" I replied, "Lily. Um... I think." Smooth. Dean smirked, "Nope. Is she cute?" Well um. Let's see, did I think the girl that threatened to kill me, is cute? "I guess." Now I'm blushing aren't I?

"I mean, I, um, I'm sure she is, according to, you know, like today's standards." Thank you, Dean for making me feel so awkward. "Well, thank you for everything. I should get going." I walked out the door.

Might as well check. I decided to look in the back for my bike one more time. I walked around to the side. Nope, not here. Right before I went around the next corner, I heard Dean talking. I peeked around the corner. Oh my goodness. He's talking to her. He just told me he didn't know her. Why is he talking to Lily?!

A/N: Hey, sorry it took so long to get a new chapter. BTW the next chapter is when school starts for Nolan. Are you excited?

So, what should Nolan do?