[08]

"I know why I'm being forced to come with you. Just don't except me to be thrilled about it."

Skylar sat in the backseat of Edward's Volvo, avoiding the said boy's gaze by staring out the window. "Shouldn't you be looking at the road instead of me?" Edward kept his eyes on her for a moment longer before turning back to face the road. 

"You could at least be thankful, you know?" Edward finally spoke. "We're trying to save your life here."

"I don't need your help," Skylar sneered. Edward shook his head in silence, jaw clenching, while Bella sat beside him. 

The older twin rolled her eyes in both annoyance and confusion. "Look, I'm sorry. I don't mean to be so rude but I really am fine without the help. Like I said before, that guy didn't even touch me!"

"But we're not going to take that chance, Skylar. And whether you like it or not you're apart of this family now. At least we consider it that way, and we are not going to leave you on your own."

Biting back her tongue, Skylar simply turned her head to look out the window again. Noticing that they were close to the line, she smiled at the thought of seeing Paul again. It had been a rough couple of weeks for the two. Paul was even less happy with the arrangement between the two groups than Skylar, so it not exactly been happy waters between the two. Skylar, however, had hopeful thoughts about tonight. 

Noticing the car stop, she noticed Paul's truck sitting in front of Jake's, and she couldn't stop the smile that stretched across her face. Throwing open the door before Edward had it in park, she jumped out and ran out towards Paul's open arms. 

"Hey baby," he whispered into her neck, encasing her tightly in his grip. He looked over her shoulder at the vampire getting out of the car, and his arms immediately tightened around her waist. Giving Edward his best death glare, Paul glanced at Jake before picking Skylar up and carrying the girl to his truck. Without stopping, he lifted her in and slid in beside her. "So, what's on the agenda for today. It doesn't matter to me, but we're going to a bonfire tonight."

♦♦♦

"Paul... Paul, for God sakes Paul, stop eating all the hot dogs!" Skylar sat beside the boy, trying to grab the food out of the grinning boy's hands. "But I'm hungry," Paul whined. "You've had enough, but I need more!"

"You've had seven!" Skylar quietly screamed. "And I've had two." 

He winked at her. 

Embry plopped down beside of her, handing her one of his own hot dogs. "You can have one of mine sweetheart."

Paul softly growled. "That's my name for her, boy. Shove off."

"It should be Skylar, you chauvinist pig," Embry whispered, even though everyone surrounding the trio could still hear them. Chuckling at his own joke, he shrugged and took the hot dog and began chomping on it. 

Skylar bit her lip to contain her own smile and turned to face Paul, who's frown was etched on his face. "C'mon, Paul. It was just a joke." He was about to respond when Billy cleared his throat. "I'll getcha back later."

"The Quileutes have been a small tribe from the beginning," Billy started. "But we have always had magic in our blood. We were great spirit warriors, shape-shifters that transformed to the powerful wolf. This enabled us to scare off our enemies and protect our tribe. One day, our warriors came across a creature.  It looked like a man, but it was hard like stone and cold as ice."

Skylar's mind jumped to the Cullens, and as if reading her mind, Paul glanced at her and nodded. "Vampire."

"Our warriors sharp teeth finally tore it apart, but only fire would completely destroy it. They lived in fear that the cold man was not alone. And  they were right... She took her vengeance out on the village. Our elder chief, Taha Aki, was the only spirit warrior left to save the tribe after his son was killed."

Lifting her eyes upwards, Skylar made eye contact with Bella, who looked deeply disturbed. A part of her felt like comforting her sister... however, the other part felt as if she needed to hear this. This was the history of both clans after all. The wolves and the vampires. 

"Taha Aki's third wife could see that he would lose. The third wife was no magical being, with no special powers but one - courage. The third wife's sacrifice distracted the cold woman long enough for Taha Aki to destroy her. She saved the tribe. Over time, our enemies have disappeared, but one remains... the cold ones. Our magic awakens when they're near, and we sense it now. We feel the threat in our blood. Something terrible is coming and we must all be ready. All of us."

Later that night, Paul and Skylar sat curled up in Paul's small room, letting the TV drone endlessly. Paul peered down at his imprint. "You've been quiet for some time now."

"Huh?" Skylar looked up, noticing the concern written on his face. "I'm just tired."

"C'mon, Sky. You know me better than to bullshit me. What's wrong?"

She shook her head. "Nothing. I'm just glad to be here with you."

Frowning at her attempt to change the subject, he nuzzled his head into the crook of her neck. "I'm very glad to be here with you. But you know... I still have to get you back for that little stunt you pulled earlier with Embry."

"Embry is a sweety, Paul. I don't understand why you're always so upset with him. And Jared told me you almost gave him a concussion!"

Paul rolled his eyes. "He deserved it. Besides, if he wasn't such a baby he would have took the punch like a man."

"You hit him!" Skylar exclaimed. "Why?" Paul mumbled something under his breath, something that Skylar couldn't understand. "What was that?"

"He was thinking about you... in ways he really shouldn't have been." Paul said, once again under his breath.

"And why was he thinking of me? In ways he shouldn't have been, no less?" Skylar asked confused. 

Paul jumbled up his words. "Because, well I.. I was thinking about you.. in ways I shouldn't have been."

Skylar shoved him, flabbergasted. "Paul!" The said boy laughed - harder than he probably should have. "It's not funny, Paul! How am I ever suppose to face those boys again knowing that they've seen your nasty ass fantasies! Besides, what are you doing having those thoughts anyway?"

Gently pushing her down, he carefully lifted himself on top of her without putting too much of his weight on her. "Baby, I think I have every right to think my thoughts."

"Oh yeah? And what gives you that right?" Skylar raised an eyebrow. 

"Because. You became mine the minute I saw you that day and I'll be damned if I see some lanky teenager try and steal you away."

"I became yours, huh? Last I checked, I was still my own person, not a thing that belongs to anyone," Skylar rebounded.

"Mmm, you're my girl. My reason for living now. And nothing... nothing will ever hurt you again."

I'm on a role with three chapters in two days. I think this is the longest chapter I've written for this book. I know I asked if y'all wanted longer or shorter chapters but I think I'll still try to do longer chapters, just more often since I have more free time. But yay, whatta chapter. I ended it with a bit of fluff but yeah. I'll try and get another one done in the mean time. Thanks for reading!