[05]

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Paul, slow down... Baby, please slow down," Skylar coached, trying to calm down the enraged boy on the other side of the phone. "What's going on now?"

Over the sound of his faltering breath, Paul managed to spit out the situation happening up in Washington. "That fucking bloodsucker put his filthy hands on me. On our land. He tried to push me away from the vampire bitch we were chasing-"

"Wait, what vampire?"

"I don't know, the red head," Paul seethed.

Sitting down, the young adult's eyes widened. "Victoria? She's back for Bella?"

Paul paused, concerned over the sense of urgency in his imprint's voice. "Skylar. We'll keep her safe. As long as the damn bloodsuckers can keep their part of the treaty. And... And they'll do their part. They'll keep her safe on their land."

"I just can't believe she's back," Skylar whispered. "After all that she's been through, now she has to go through this."

"It's not just Bella. I'm not taking any chances with you either. You are under my- I mean our protection now, with the wolves. We're gonna take care of the both of you."

Skylar nodded to herself. "I know. I just wish we could catch a break. It's senior year, you know?"

"I know baby. But you don't worry that pretty lil' head of yours, okay? I'm going to protect you," Paul reassured.

"Okay," Skylar whispered, voice low. "I have to pack."

"You're shutting me out."

Chuckling, Skylar looked around the room, noticing the all the clothes laying among the furniture. "I promise you that if you could see this room right now, you would see that I have to pack. Like right now. As we're leaving in an hour."

"You could show me what the room looks like, maybe on Skype. And while we're on the subject, I haven't seen you in a while... so if you wanna point that camera towards you and show me what you're-"

"Okay," Skylar shot up, biting her lip. "I will see you tonight, Paul." Hearing him laugh on the other side just made her bite her lip harder, trying to conceal her own giggles.

"I will see you tonight," he repeated.

Hesitating, Skylar tensed up. "I – I... I'll see you." Swearing she heard his breath stutter on the other side.

"Tonight," he confirmed.

♦♦♦

Sitting in the hard, plastic chair, Skylar sighed as she scanned the airport, occasionally throwing a glance at Bella sitting next to her. Face resting in what she knew looked like a bitch face, Skylar turned her body to lean in towards her twin.

"Bella."

The said girl slowly lifted her head to face Skylar. With her face resembling what Skylar thought of as surprise, she raised an eyebrow, waiting for her to go on.

"We need to talk. And I'd rather do it in an airport so I don't scream at you." Seeing the look that passed through Bella's face, she chuckled. "I'm joking. Partly." She paused, having an internal debate on whether to tell her that Victoria was back. Shaking her head, she finalized that she would let Edward or one of the Cullens deliver the news. "I know I've been shutting you out. And I've have had every right to, don't get me wrong, but I miss the hell out of you. And maybe I start listening to Charlie and stop being so damn stubborn about it. You're safe, and that's all that really matters. So, I just... I want things to go back to how they were."

"But you said they would never."

Skylar nodded. "Yeah, and I also said I'd marry Ben back in the fourth grade. Things change, and maybe for the better."

Bella stared at her a few more moments before a smile broke out, stretching from ear to ear. Engulfing her sister in a hug, Skylar's eyebrows shot up. "A hug from Isabella Swan. Why I never thought."

"Oh shut up," Bella said, still smiling as she pulled back. "Sky, you have no idea how much better this makes me feel."

"I think I do. Remember in sixth grade when I killed you hamster and you didn't talk to me for like a week? It's pretty much the same thing, yeah?"

Bella took her sister's hand in her own, squeezing it and let it go. "No, Skylar. It's not."

"Hey," Skylar said, nudging Bella. "I love you, okay? And no matter how mad I get at you, I promise that I will never stop. Okay?"

"Okay."

While the flight was fairly uneventful (as Skylar slept the whole time, and despite Bella's teasing there was no drool) both twins were happy to step out of the plane. Skylar saw as her sister's eyes immediately scanned for Edward, lighting up when she saw him. Bella gave her one last smile before walking towards him, engulfing him in a hug.

Giving the couple a moment of their own, Skylar walked towards were there luggage would be set, searching for both bags. She smiled victoriously when she found them and quickly grabbed them before they would move along.

Stiffening when she sensed someone behind her, Skylar slowly turned around to face Edward. Noticing her confused face, Edward pointed towards the bathrooms. "She said she had to go before we left for Forks." Raising her head in acknowledgement, the two stood in awkward silence for a moment before Edward, once again, broke it. "Look, I know we are not on good terms right now, but I want to thank you for talking to Bella. I know that has taken a lot off of her shoulders."

"What about Victoria?" Skylar asked, kicking an eyebrow up. "Why haven't you told her?"

"I want to leave that subject alone as long as possible," he explained. "This trip has been so good for her and I want it to stay like that."

Scoffing, Skylar put the pieces together. "You knew. You knew Victoria was coming, didn't you?" When she didn't get an answer, she shook her head. "Tell her. I promise you, if you don't tell her you'll regret it. She would want to know." Skylar took a step back when she noticed Bella walking towards the two of them. Giving Edward one last look, she perked back up as Bella neared.

I think this is the longest chapter of the book so far? Maybe? Anyways, Skylar and Bella finally made up. I was going to keep their little feud going on longer but it seemed like the right place to end it.

Would y'all rather have longer chapters but I update less frequently or shorter chapters with more frequent updates?

l