[07]

Skylar sat on the edge of the plush white couch, running her hands through her hair. Listening the Cullen's argue was not how she felt like spending her night. 

"Someone's orchestrating this," Carlisle whispered. 

Bella glanced up. "Victoria?"

"I would have seen her decide," Alice argued, glancing over at the shaken Swan. 

"It has to be the Volturi," Edward said, which made Alice shake her head in disagreement. "I don't think it's the Volturi, either. I've been watching Aro's decisions, too."

Skylar, who was beyond confused at this point, rested her head in her hands. She felt, perhaps wrongly, that she was almost betraying the wolves by being here, even if it wasn't by choice. She had grown so used to the pack that she felt out of place in the perfect house. 

Edward peered over at her with dark eyes, shaking his head in a silent no at her thoughts. 

Stay out of my head. 

The vampire simply furrowed his eyebrows at her thoughts before turning back to his family. 

"So we keep looking," Emmett stated. 

Carlisle nodded. "We'll also take shifts guarding Bella and Skylar at her house."

"I don't understand why I'm here," Skylar finally spit out. "I don't need protection from you all."

"Skylar-"

"Do you not understand what danger you were in," Edward interrupted his father. "A possibly rouge vampire was at your house. Not only did they break in but they went into your room while you were sleeping. We're not going to leave you out of this Skylar, so whether you like it or not we're going to protect you."

"I don't need you're protection! I have Paul and the pack, which is protect me plenty."

Edward scoffed. "Yeah? And where exactly were they that night?"

Skylar jumped out of her seat, only to be held back by Rosalie. "Where the fuck were you then? Huh? Don't place the blame on them." She shrugged herself out of the blonde's arms. "Besides, he or she didn't harm me so obviously it wasn't after me."

Carlisle shook his head. "We're not going to take that chance, Skylar. Edward is right. Your Bella's sister, so we will protect you, even if you don't think you need our help."

She rolled her eyes at their antics. "Can we just hurry this up then. I have a Psychology essay due this week and I'd rather not flunk out of my senior year."

Rosalie glanced at her father as well. "Are we really doing another protection detail?"

"She's right," Bella agreed. "And so is Skylar. You can't protect the two of us, watch Charlie, and search for the intruder."

"And for Victoria." Rosalie had a blank look in her eyes. 

"And keep yourselves fed," Bella nodded. 

Edward's jaw clenched. "I'm not leaving you here defenseless." Bella stared him down. "Well, I'm not gonna let you starve... And I wouldn't be unprotected. We have..."

"The wolves to help us," Skylar finished. 

    ♦♦♦ 

As soon as Paul was done searching through the vampire's stench in the Swan's house, his arms were immediately locked around Skylar's waist. 

"Whoever it was, he left his stink behind," Jacob said, walking out of the house as well. 

"We won't miss it if he crosses again," Paul said, eyes glaring at Edward. "We can handle it from here, bloodsucker."

"We don't need help handling anything. Or anyone," Edward defended, not like the way Paul was talking to him. 

"I could could a flying shit about what you need," Paul said, pushing Skylar behind his back. "Next time you wanna take my girl to your place without her full permission, I can promise you that I won't be this civil. 

Skylar tugged at Paul's hand, jerking him away from the group. "C'mon, Paul. Let's go."

Paul hardly left Skylar's side on the days the followed. Even when the vampires showed up to take of the shifts of guarding the house, Paul would simply glare at the Cullens before shifting, climbing up to Skylar's room. 

It wasn't exactly an easy alliance, but it wasn't about rivalry anymore. To both groups, it was about keep the twins safe.