60 | Family is Forever

Rya's POV;

It's the day before Christmas, and Luke still hasn't been able to get home yet. I didn't think I'd be as upset as I am, yet here we are. No dad, no Luke.

I've been trying not to think about my father. I still don't know why he just up and left. He was so caring, he loved us all to the moon and back and then some. It doesn't make sense for him to just suddenly grow tired of us and pack up his things and flee. Fathers aren't supposed to do that. They're supposed to stay and protect their families.

"Rya, come help clean up," Jack calls, breaking me out of my thoughts. My eyes have been glued to the window, praying that Luke would somehow just appear. But not even Christmas miracles are in our favor this year, I suppose. I let out a quiet sigh and follow Jack into the living room, where mum is tidying up. I go into the kitchen and empty and reload the dishwasher and clean the counters and table. Once we're finished, we all sit on the couch together and talk. Well, Ben and Jack are bubbling about Ben's proposal tomorrow, I'm only half listening.

"Cheer up my love, I don't want my little girl to be sad on Christmas," she says softly, pulling me into a hug. I give her a small smile and scoot closer to her, listening in more efficiently as Jack and Ben discuss Ben and Gracie's future.

"Are you going to buy a house?" Jack questions, sipping his beer.

"Eventually. We're perfectly happy where we are now, so not just yet. When the time is right, I'm sure we'll get a house," Ben replies.

This makes me grin. "Meaning, when you have kids," I butt in, causing Ben to blush.

"Oh, I'd love to have some grandkids," mum gushes, making Ben blush even more.

"Yes, eventually, I can see us with kids," he says with a shy smile.

"How many?" I ask eagerly.

Ben shrugs. "However many come out of the process," he says as he leans back.

I scrunch my nose up and gag. "Ew! I don't need that image in my head!" I shriek, grabbing a pillow and whipping it at my oldest brother.

"Hey! you're the one who asked!" He shouts, throwing the pillow back. I duck out of the way and it hits mum's side, causing Jack and I to laugh.

"No pillow fights, please," she chuckles.

"Yeah, are we five?" I counter to Ben.

"You started it!" He argues back while laughing. "You're the one who's five!"

I sit back smugly and fold my arms over my chest. "Times two plus one," I fire back, making Ben roll his eyes.

"Congratulations, having a mum as a math teacher has served you well," he replies sarcastically.

"At least I'm passing math," I fire back.

Jack widens his eyes and whispers "oohhhhh," while I giggle.

"One time," he huffs, trying not to laugh. "I failed one semester in middle school one time!"

"Alright, it's time for Rya to go to bed," mum says, putting an end to our fake argument. I whine and pout in protest as mum gets up and ushers me down the hall and up the stairs.