22 | It's My Party

I wake up to hear a familiar voice downstairs, followed by mum's laugh. I sit up quickly, a smile spreading its way onto my face. I jump up and hurry downstairs, grinning when I see Luke sitting at the counter, laughing with mum.

"Lukey!" I shriek, jumping into his arms as soon as he stands up. He catches me and twirls me around like always before setting me on my feet. "You're home early!" I exclaim, jumping onto his lap as he sits down in the living room.

"We ended promo a bit early, so I thought I'd surprise you," he says with a grin.

"Happy birthday, baby girl!" Mum exclaims, hugging me tightly.

"I can't believe my baby sister is already eleven," Luke remarks, smiling down at me fondly. I grin, messing up his quiff by ruffling it. Luke gasps, pushing me away and tugging my hair gently. "Hey, stay away from the hair," he instructs. I just grin deviously, proceeding to start a tickle fight. Mum just watches with an amused expression, until I finally manage to end our rough housing.

"Alright, kiddos, get up and have some breakfast, we've got decorating to do."

Once Luke and I have finished eating, Willow comes over to help us decorate for the party, greeting Luke with a shove. He's just as much her brother as he is mine, since we're basically sisters ourselves.

"So, you still haven't heard from your dad?" Willow asks as we blow up balloons. I frown, shaking my head.

"I've tried calling him everyday, but he doesn't answer," I say, fiddling with one of the balloons. "Do you think he hates me?" I ask quietly. "Why is he ignoring me?"

Willow sighs. "I don't know, Ry. I wish I did, but I don't. I'm really sorry." I nod as continue to blow up balloons, and out of the corner of my eye, I can Luke staring at me with a sad frown on his face. How does he feel about this whole thing?

After we finish decorating, mum calls us over to help her bake my cake. "Chocolate?" Mum asks as she gets the cake mix out. I grin. "Duh."

"I call licking the bowl!" Luke exclaims childishly. I stick my tongue out at him before arguing, smugly, "No way! It's my birthday, I get the bowl!" Luke rolls his eyes, but abides to my wish.

While the cake is baking, Willow has to go home and get herself for my party. Luke and I go outside and sit on the patio. It's a beautiful August day. The sky is bright blue, there are hardly any clouds in the sky, and a light summer breeze blows the green leaves on the trees slightly. I sigh, moving from my chair on the patio to lay on the grass and stare at the few clouds in the sky. Luke follows suit and lays next to me, and we stay silent for a few minutes as I watch the clouds lazily make their way across the sky.

"You'll love my present," Luke speaks up suddenly, making me turn to him in excitement. "What's you get me?!" I exclaim eagerly. Luke just grins and shrugs. "It's a surprise," he says, grinning deviously. I fold my arms over my chest and stick out my lower lip. "You're no fun," I huff, making him laugh. "What happened to loving surprises?" Luke asks with a chuckle. I turn my attention back to the sky. "Because I wanna know now," I pout. Luke laughs some more. "You'll see."

By five o'clock, everyone's arrived at our house. Ashton, Cal, Mikey and their families were all invited like always, and obviously Willow and her family, too. I also invited a few other girls from school that Willow and I are friends with, named Faith and Jessica.