49 | Us Against the World

Rya's POV;

I wake up the next morning feeling pretty tired, considering I didn't sleep well last night. It was horrible because I don't know where Luke is or if he's okay.

The hurricane is over now, so we took all the boards down and swept and cleaned up all the damage. I gasp at the sight of the beach outside, and injuries and deaths are all over the news.

"Reporters at the hospital day the worldwide famous pop punk band members Luke Hemmings and Calum Hood were taken to the hospital after the hurricane left them injured and the building they tried to take cover in destroyed."

I whip my head around to the TV, which we finally got working, and feel my heart drop. Michael is sitting on the couch, rubbing his temples in disbelief.

I knew something bad was going to happen!

Seconds later, there's a knock on the door, so I go to see who it is. I feel my heart drop again when I see a police officer at the door. I cautiously open the door and stare at him with wide eyes, stepping back to let him in.

"Rya, who it?" Ashton calls as he turns the corner. I back up further and hide behind his legs, my childish shy side reappearing again. Michael joins us and puts a hand on my shoulder as I listen to the police officer talk.

"Are any of you relatives of Luke Hemmings or Calum Hood?"

Michael looks down to me and tightens his grip on my shoulder.

"This is Rya, Luke's sister."

He gives me a small smile and I hide further behind Ashton, making him smile fondly down at me.

"They've been involved in some sort of accident during the hurricane are at the hospital, please come with me."

The ride to the hospital seems to take forever. I'm very fidgety as Michael and Ashton try to keep me calm, but I can't. The roads are disastrous, which makes our trip even longer, and my heart nearly explodes when we get to the hospital. The police officer leaves to talk to some other people as we make our way to the front desk. The hospital is swarming with people due to the hurricane and all the radios and televisions are broadcasting everything. I'm on the verge of having a meltdown or panic attack as I grip Michael's hand tightly.

"C'mere," he whispers gently, opening his arms. I go gently into them as he lifts me up and places me on his hip, and I wrap my arms around his neck as we weave through the people.

I wonder what happened. Are they okay? Were they seriously injured?

I think back to when I was younger, when everything was simple. I had a best friend, loving parents who didn't hate each other, and the best brothers ever. So much has happened, so many bad things that I wish would go away.

Luke and I sometimes used to play hide and seek or cops and robbers when he was little. I miss those days. Back then it was just us, taking on these made-up tragedies where we rescued made-up people in distress. Now it seems to be us against the world, constantly fighting away real bad things or dealing with the sadness they left behind.

Once we finally find get the room number, Michael and Ashton quickly jog down the hallways and to the elevator. They're in the same room on floor 5, which seems to take forever to get to.

"I'm afraid," I say, tucking my face in the crook of Michael's neck as we near Luke and Calum's room. "Don't be scared, it's just Luke and Cal," Ashton says, rubbing my back. I nod, taking a deep breath and lifting my head as we enter the room. Luke immediately smiles when he sees me. Michael sets me on my feet and I run to his bed, gently climbing in next to him. He has a bandage wrapped around his head, but other than that he looks fine. Cal has a bandage on his wrist and is sitting in a chair next to Luke's bed, but they both look fine. Thank goodness, I was so scared!

Michael lays across the foot of the bed obnoxiously as I snuggle close to Luke. "You shouldn't have gone!" I say, my voice muffled under the covers. Luke chuckles and strokes my hair. "Aw, you were worried," he says. I punch his arm, partially playful but also half serious. "I was terrified!" Luke's smile becomes sad as he pulls me close. "I was scared, too," he whispers.

I gently wrap my arms around him and sigh in content, tiredness taking over my body. I didn't realize how little sleep I had gotten last night, but it's obviously catching up with me now.

"Was she okay?" I hear Luke whisper. They're most likely assuming I've fallen asleep. I'm almost there, but I kind of want to hear what they're saying about me.

"She was pretty scared," Ashton says when Michael doesn't say anything. Luke's grip tightens around me and I snuggle closer to him out of habit.

"She had a few nightmares last night," Michael interjects after a moment. He sounds sad, and it makes me feel bad. "I woke up around 1am and heard her crying." I can just feel Luke's sad blue-gray eyes staring down at me. I love that they're so protective since everything that's happened, but I feel horrible. Bad things keep happening, and I've been getting worse. I'm not oblivious, I'm aware that I have been, but I don't know how to fix myself. I just want to go home and be with Luke and mum. Everything was okay in the beginning of the summer. I really wish I could rewind time right now.

"I don't know what to do, she's been through so much these past few months," Luke whispers, and then it's silent. Welcome to the club, Luke, I don't know how to fix this, either. I wish I did.

"Just be there for her," Cal says. "It's obvious she's been through a lot, and she needs you. Hell, she's barely left your side lately," he says with a bitter chuckle. "Just be there for her, that's all we can do," Calum concludes. I smile to myself. Everything will be okay. I have Luke and the boys with me, and they're here for me. We can get through this. Things will get better. I feel better as I grow more tired, and I let what Calum said lull me to sleep. They're here for me. They always will be. Before I know it, I'm fast asleep.

A/N - heyyyy I can't sleep so here's an update :) have a fantabulous day/night xoxo - Em