56 | Glad You Came

Rya's POV;

It's almost weird having time fly by the way it has. It's already been two weeks since I've started back at school and for the most part, it isn't that bad. Macy gives me a glare whenever she's within looking distance, but I could care less. It's not even intimidating, just weird and creepy. I've learned to ignore it.

"Hey, did you hear we're getting a new student today?" Caden asks as he plops down next to me on the bus. I turn from looking out the window to face him and shake my head. "No, why?"

Caden shrugs as the bus starts moving. "I heard it's a girl from California. That's pretty cool, huh?" I nod in agreement. I wonder if she was famous since everyone seems to know about her.

I'm actually sort of relieved that this new girl is so known of. For once everyone is focused on her arrival and not on sob story of a life.

As suspected, Macy is all over the new girl as soon as she's spotted. I lean against my locker and watch from afar as Macy gushes about her 'designer' clothes and bags and shoes and tries to get her to talk about her life in California. The new girl seems uncomfortable, though. She just stares at her feet and shifts awkwardly until the bell rings. Caden joins my side and we walk to homeroom together. Ironically, the new girl is in our class. She gets swarmed by people again with questions about her life in California, but she looks sort of sad.

I rest my chin on my hands and watch as Macy approaches her yet again during lunch, but suddenly huffs and stinks away with her entourage, leaving the girl alone. Before I can process what my legs are doing, they're already walking towards the almost empty table and sitting across from the new girl.

"Hi," I say, resting my elbows on the table and my chin on my hands. The girl sighs deeply and looks away. She's probably sick of all the questions. I wouldn't blame her, I know how it feels.

"I'm Rya. I've gathered you're new here," I say with a giggle. Duh. Smooth, Rya. I shake the thoughts away and continue, "Um, you just seem sort of sad. If you want, you can come sit with me and my friend Caden," I offer, pointing to a table a few rows away. The girl lifts her eyes to look up at me, then past me to the smiling dirty blonde boy sitting at our table.

"Okay," she says with a shrug. I smile and lead her over. "I'm Jess, by the way," she says as we sit. I smile and Caden introduces himself before we start eating.

"So, what brings you to Australia?" Caden questions with his mouth full. I roll my eyes and smack his shoulder.

"Don't talk with your mouth full, it's rude," I scold. He rolls his eyes back at me and swallows before speaking again. "What are you, my mum?" I shake my head and then to Jess, who stares at us with an amused expression. I notice she's very pretty. She has wavy brown hair, brown eyes and a round face.

"Where are you from? That's not an Australian accent," Jess says, narrowing her eyes in confusion. Caden nods, "Yeah, I moved here from London." Jess raises her eyebrows. I can already see the wheels turning in her head. Caden won't want to answer her next question, he was even reluctant to tell me about his dad. "What brings you here?" She questions. Caden shrugs, trying to hide his uncomfortableness. "Just a new start," he says simply. "So what about you?"

"My dad got a job transfer here," she says with a scowl. I guess she isn't thrilled about having to move way over here. We both nods and she looks at us in confusion. "You're not gonna ask me about how amazing my life in California is?" She questions sarcastically. I shrug, "I figured you'd gotten interrogated enough today. I know how that feels," I say sympathetically. Honestly, I'm surprised she hasn't asked about Luke yet.