24 | Hold Me Close

Listen to You Found Me by the Fray (Luke & Rya's special song) okay rip everyone :'

Rya's POV;

I open my eyes, getting to my feet and staring at Willow's and Caden's shocked expressions. "Guys, I'm okay," I say, but they just look past me. Willow has her hands pressed to her mouth and tears in her eyes, and I can hear sirens in the distance. "Guys," I say again, snapping my fingers. It's like I'm not even here, why are they ignoring me?

I turn around when the sirens get closer, and then they stop right in front of me. I look down and see . . . me. I gasp, taking in my appearance. I'm covered in blood, it's literally everywhere. Am I dead?

I watch breathlessly as two paramedics stabilize me on a stretcher and put me into an ambulance. I quickly jump in before the doors close, and watch the paramedics try to control the bleeding. The monitors are beeping uncontrollably the entire way to the hospital, and I'm starting to get worried. I can't die, I can't, I won't.

I follow the paramedics into a room and watch them continue to work on me. I have a huge cut on my forehead, a gash in my side, and both my right leg and arm are bloody. A team of doctors rushes in and begins to work on me, checking me all over with lots of different tools and machines. A few have started to stitch up my arm, side and head, and then I see another doctor put up an X-Ray of my ribs, all of which look pretty beaten up.

Why can't I feel any of this? Why can I see myself, if I'm not awake?

Suddenly, another thought pops into my head. What about my family?

Luke's POV;

I sit on the couch, just lazing around while mum works on paperwork in the kitchen. It's been a laid back day, which I'm thankful for. Don't get me wrong, I love touring, but it's really nice to have breaks, especially because I don't see mum or Rya much these days.

The phone ringing snaps me out of my daze. I move to answer it, but mum's already beaten me to it. I furrow my eyebrows as I watch her expression turn from normal to horrified. She grabs her purse and keys, grabbing my hand and practically dragging me out the door.

"Mum, what's going on?" I ask, by this now she's already backing out of the driveway. Her next words make my heart drop to the floor.

"Rya's been in a car accident."

A million questions swirl in my mind as my heart beats so hard it feels like I can't breathe. How did this happen? Why would this happen to my innocent little sister?

I fidget the rest of the way there, praying it's not as bad as I feel like it is.

"Push me higher, Lukey!" Rya shrieks, stretching her body outward and grinning at the rush of air. I smile, pushing her a little harder. "Be careful, I don't want you to fall," I advise, seeing how far she's leaning off the swing. "I bet you I can jump off!" She squeals. "Rya, I —" before I can finish, she jumps off the swing, landing with a thud on her side. I groan, mentally face-palming as I rush over to her.

"It hurts," she whimpers, sitting up stiffly. "Come on," I say, helping her up as we walk back to the house.

I can't stop my thoughts from assuming the worst as we sit in the waiting room. Mum went up to the front desk to see if she's in her room yet, and my heart dropped when she found out Rya had to have surgery.

Surgery.

She doesn't deserve this. I bury my face in my hands, exasperated and anxious and just pure nerves. Mum sighs, pulling me into a side hug. "She'll be alright. She has to be," she whispers. I sigh, hugging her back as if my life depends on it. She better be.

"Look at my cast!" Rya squeals, skipping into the house. Mum had to take her to the doctor because her arm hurt so bad, and now I see she had a cast that goes from her hand up past her elbow. Of course, it's blue, because that's her favorite color.

"Look, they even put sparkles on it!" She squeals excitedly, trying to hold it out to show me. I smile, chuckling at how excited she is over this. "Can I sign it?" I ask. She nods eagerly, and mum gives me a permanent marker. I sign my name as best I can, and then she turns to mum and dad, making them sign it as well. "I can't wait to show all my friends!" She exclaims. Mum smiles as Rya skips over to the living room, struggling to pick up the iPad with one arm casted.

After about an hour of waiting, a doctor finally comes into the waiting room. "Any relatives for Rya Hemmings?" I quickly follow mum up to the man in the white coat, and he skims over the clipboard in his hand.

"Rya was involved in a hit and run accident while crossing the street. Police are still investigating, but they have reason to believe that the man driving was intoxicated. However, that's beside the point. Rya sustained severe injuries, which required surgery. She has a broken ankle, and several wounds required stitches. We also had to go in and stop internal bleeding as well as readjust her broken ribs to prevent them from puncturing a lung. Rya may also have brain damage due to her concussion, though it's still too early to tell."

I feel the tears welling in my eyes and my throat begins to close as mum squeezes my hand. "Where is she?" I choke out. The doctor, Doctor McAndrew, according to his name tag, gestures for us to follow him. When we get to her room, my heart literally aches for her. She looks so tiny and helpless in that bed, hooked up to several wires and covered in bandages from where she needed stitches. Mum rushes to her bedside and grasps her hand, squeezing it.

"You need to be aware how severe her injuries are. Rya is currently in a coma, and there's a chance she may not wake up," Dr. McAndrew says sadly. I bite my lip harshly to keep from letting out a sob as I sit next to mum and take in my baby sister's appearance yet again.

This shouldn't have happened to her.

My innocent, sweet little sister, who sees the good in everything and can't help but bring a smile to my face as soon as she walks into the room. How could someone like her be in a state like this?

Thousands of memories flood my head as I stare at her. We're so close, we have so many memories. And now we may never make more of them. Once the doctor leaves the room, I do the only thing I can think of. I sing.

A/N - Aw, Luke's gonna sing for Rya. Don't die Rya, don't die.

I really love this chapter, I've been planning this for like ever and I really hope you guys like it! Ps - In the beginning Rya is having an out of body experience that will continue in the next chapter, which is kinda based off of the book/movie If I Stay. stay tuned peeps, Xoxo - Em😊❤️