Chapter 22

The light turned brighter and brighter until it flashed. Then, nothing happened.

"WHAT? WHY ISN'T IT WORKING!" her mother screamed at the shattered shoe in her hand.

"Because it's not the right shoe," Belle said, struggling to sit up. The light had knocked everyone to the floor, and many others were starting to sit up.

"What are you talking about you little brat?" Cindy's mother yelled.

"You have the wrong shoe," Belle repeated, "In the original Grimm stories, the prince had slipped Cinderella's right shoe on her foot. That shoe is the true enchanted object." Cindy's mother's eyes widened and she let out a blood curling scream, dropping to the floor in agony.

"It's over mother," Cindy said, pointing the sword at her. She heard heavy footsteps behind her. They placed a hand on her shoulder. Cindy turned to see the proud smile on her dad's face.

"Nothing's over until I say it is!" Cindy's mother muttered.

"Just give up Amy. It's done," Cindy's dad said.

Her mother started to chuckle. She then tipped her head back and laughed maniacally.

"Uh Cindy, I think your mom's gone wacko," Jaz said. Suddenly, her mother jumped up and grabbed Cindy, pointing a gun at her head.

"Cindy!" her dad yelled. He turned a hateful gaze toward her mother. "Why are you doing this?"

"Because you took away my world. I only see it fitting to take away yours," she answered.

"You're going to kill your own daughter for something that happened years ago?" Cindy's dad asked.

"I would never kill my own flesh and blood," her mother started. She released Cindy from her grip and pointed the gun at her dad. "You on the other hand, I'll be happy to kill."

"Amy! How could you do that to your own husband?" Linda asked, standing by Priscilla's side.

"I was wondering when you were going to show up Linda." Cindy's mother mused. "And for your information, he isn't my husband. He hasn't been my husband for a long time." Linda shut up, unable to speak. Cindy's mother turned her attention to CIndy. "I'll give you an ultimatum: you give me the right shoe, and I'll let your father go."

"Don't do it Cindy!" her dad yelled. Her mother cocked the gun at her father.

"Tick tock, tick tock," her mother said. Cindy looked at her friends and family. Belle and Jaz were yelling at her to not give in, Nick was telling Cindy to not give up, Linda and Priscilla were looking at her to see what she would do. Cindy's gaze fell to her dad last, who had his hands raised up in surrender. He still had that proud smile on his face, staring right back at Cindy even when he was being held at gunpoint.

"I'll never give it to you," Cindy yelled at her mother with surprising strength. "Even if dad is gone, I'll still be here. And I will make it my job to make it impossible to find any of the objects. I will make your life hell before I let that happen."

Instead of the hate Cindy expected, her mother surprised Cindy by looking amused. She pulled back the gun as she spoke, "You silly girl, you don't know what you've gotten yourself into." In one quick motion, Cindy's mother grabbed her just as a rope fell from the sky.

Cindy looked up, shocked to see a mechanical balloon lifting them up. Too late Cindy realized that King Carter and Dameon were not in the ballroom. She thrashed in her mother's arms as she pointed her gun straight at her dad.

"Goodbye Robert," Amy said as she pulled the trigger.