Chapter 18

"Hello darling," said Linda from the other line.

"Hi Linda," Cindy replied, "I'm sorry I've been so distant lately."

"No worries sweetie. I heard what happened. Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," Cindy answered. She paced the secured hallway as Linda continued talking to her.

"If you're sure," said Linda, unconvinced, "Anyway, I trust you have everything under control for the ball tonight?"

"Yes. Everything is ready. I'm actually on my way to get ready," Cindy replied.

"Oh goody!" Linda squealed, "I wish I could be there, but since I can't, I sent over some fantastic shoes for your dress!"

"Hold up, you know what my dress looks like? Am I the only one who doesn't?" Cindy yelled.

"Now Cindy, don't be rude. Go get ready and have fun, okay? I'll be a call away if you need anything," said Linda. As they said their goodbyes, Cindy couldn't help but think that Linda wasn't as bad as she thought she was. Cindy smiled, glad that she finally understood why her Dad loved Linda, even after Mom. Linda just had that spark that Cindy's mother never had.

Suddenly, Cindy heard a beep. She glanced at her phone and saw a text message from Phoenix. Cindy opened the message and saw a bunch of angry emoticons and exclamation points. Apparently, she was late. Cindy told her she'd be in Phoenix's room in a few minutes and started her journey. Cindy was so focused on where she was going, she didn't realize she had bumped into someone.

"Ooof!""I'm sorry!" Cindy apologized.

"Watch where you're going," the person trails off. Cindy look up and found herself face to face with a very flustered Dameon. "Oh, um, C-Cindy," he stammered. If they were in different circumstances, Cindy would have thought his stammering was cute and boyish. Now, Cindy just really wanted to punch a hole through him. Cindy turned to leave, but he grabbed her hand. "Wait Cindy."

"I have to go," Cindy replied.

"I-I wanted to apologize."

"Dameon," Cindy sighed, "I don't have time for this."

"Just hear me out," Dameon said, still holding her hand. Cindy tried to get it free, but Dameon tightened his grip. She was going nowhere. She stopped struggling, but she paid him no attention. Dameon sighed defeatedly, knowing this was the best he was going to get. "I wanted to apologize for the other night. I was mad and hurt...confused...I-She didn't mean anything to me, I swear Cindy." At this point he had released her hand and was waiting for her to speak.

"I have to go," Cindy said, trying to keep herself together. With that, Cindy sprinted the rest of the way to Phoenix's room. When she answered the door, she grabbed Cindy's arm and pulled her inside.

"YOU ARE SO LATE!" she yelled.

"What are you talking about! None of you are ready yet!" Cindy said, motioning to Belle, Jaz, and Mary.

"That's because you have to get ready first," Phoenix replied back.

"Huh?" Cindy responded. Quickly, someone wrapped a blindfold around her eyes. Cindy struggled in their grasp. "What the hell is wrong with all of you?" Cindy yelled.

"I don't want you to see your dress just yet. Whatever's been keeping you down will disappear once I'm done working my magic," Phoenix replied. Giving up, Cindy relaxed, and Phoenix ordered Belle and Mary to get Cindy into her dress. Though Cindy couldn't see what her dress looked like, it slid on like a dream. She smoothed the dress with her hands, and it felt soft and cool underneath her touch.