The Unknown

The Unknown, Chapter 1

"Are you ever going to find somebody that's perfect for you Anna?" my mother yelled from outside the fitting room. I never will answer that question, no matter how many times she asks.  After a long silence, she replies  to herself, "Maybe you'll ind somebody at Melanie's wedding." I roll my eyes as I step into the knee-length, strapless, pale yellow bridesmaids dress. I twirl as I look in the mirror with a look of admiration. Suddenly, my face contorts into a look with horror. I never thought I would do that. I hate stuff like this, I'd rather just be at home playing football with Brody or helping Jason organize baseball cards. But I have to admit, Melanie chose perfectly for me. I unlocked the door and stepped out in front of the mirrors and Mom and Melanie. They both gasped as I stepped cautiously up onto the pedestal, careful not to break the heels I was instructed to wear for the wedding. Melanie kissed my cheek and pretty much launched herself into the dressing room, throwing herself into the gown she decided she would marry Ashley in.

 A couple moments of awkward silence passed by, and tuen Melanie strutted out of the dressing room. She looked absolutely stunning. The gown fit her hourglass figure so perfectly all I could do was loon in her with wonder and praise. Soft tears flowed down her far as she brought my mom and I in for a hug. Moments later, the storekeeper had taken our dresses and packed them up for us. Once we walked outside, Melanie and Mom ran into a group of "family friends" but they weren't my friends. I didn't even know who they were! As Melanie discussed her wedding details, I slipped out of the circle and leaned up against the wall. I tried to find a more comfortable position, but one of the heels got caught in some weeds that grew in the concrete. I thought I landed flat faced on the ground but I opened to shut eyes to find the chest of the man in front of me. Mid-twenties I suspected, not much older than me for sure. I looked up and met his handsome face. So I stood there, well leaning against him, taking in his picture. Those mysterious eye, those deep pools of grey, just inviting me to hold onto this stranger forever. His ha- Suddenly, he broke me out of my trance.

 "Well, nice to meet you too, Clumsy." He noted slyly, grinning and showing his white teeth. I turned way, finally regaining my balance, and tucked my hair behind my ear while blushing to the side. I whipped over my shoulder, glancing at Melanie and Mom; They didn't even know I left their circle.

 "What's your name, babe?" He whispered in my ear. As much as I was attracted to him, I had been struck dumb. I stuck my hand on his hard chest and pushed him backwards. I barely knew him, other than that he knew I was extremely clumsy(especially for my first time in heels), and he called me babe. I couldn't believe this stranger.

 "First of all, I don't know you. Don't call me babe. Secondly, why would I tell you my name to a random guy on the street?!" I spat back.

 "Babe's got an attitude." He chuckled to himself. I turned my back to him after giving him a hard glare, and walked back to the circle. I didn't want to know him, or him know me, much less see him again. Just before we walked away, I glanced back towards him just in time to see him lick his lips. I rolled my eyes and we snapped around the corner and jumped in a cab. Soon we were home, and planning the dreaded- hair and makeup for the wedding tomorrow. Later, after finishing the details and chatting for an eternity, Mom when upstairs for a nap and left Melanie and I to talk.

 "So, who wad that guy you were talking with outside the dress shop?" she said quietly, but outspoken for Melanie. "And don't you dare lie to me, Annie." she chuckled, raising her eyebrow.

 Oh God. Somebody DID notice, and that was Melanie. Better than Mom, but Melanie. The one who couldn't keep secrets. I turned my face away from her to hide my blush.

 "Well..." I started.

                                                                 • • • • •