Chapter Thirty Five

~ M A S O N ~

Three weeks. She has been in coma for three weeks.

I held on her hand which wasn't as warm as it used to be as I hugged Gummy. Her mom had brought it here so that he could keep her company when no one else was here.

"When will you wake up?" I sighed, staring at her pale complexion.

It was always like this. After school, I would go straight to the hospital to go and visit her in case she woke up. And every day, that hope will be crushed when I see her still lying on the bed, unmoving.

It was Saturday today though. This was how I spent my weekends now.

I heard a knock on the door. I stood up and placed Gummy beside her before standing up. I opened the door to see her mother.

She was so heartbroken when she learned about Vanessa. She couldn't even set a foot inside the hospital after the incident, so I was surprised to see her. She usually just asks Hazel to keep her updated and now she was checking on her herself.

I was about to go outside to give them some privacy when she placed her hand on my shoulder, dragging me outside.

"How is she?" she asked when we exited out of her room.

"She's doing absolutely fantastic, you see?" I responded sarcastically, pointing to her room.

She didn't like me anyway, so what was the point of being nice? She was also mean to Vanessa; I mean, what kind of mother will send her daughter to an alcoholic? Even if Vanessa did offer to do that, she shouldn't have agreed! She was too young to experience all that abuse!

Besides, it was pretty obvious that she still wasn't conscious, so why bother asking?

Surprisingly, she didn't look irritated like I thought she would. Instead, she sighed and ran her hand through her brown hair, just like Vanessa's.

She looked very distressed. She had bags under her eyes and her wrinkles were showing. Her hair wasn't neatly combed and she wasn't wearing any makeup, which was very unlike her. She was only wearing a shirt and some sweatpants, which looked odd since she was the type to be stylish in every outfit.

It hurt to look at her. She looked a lot like her.

"I'm sorry," she muttered, not meeting my eyes.

I was taken aback. "What did you say?" I asked, not quite believing what I was hearing.

"I said I'm sorry," she repeated, meeting my gaze. "I apologize for thinking that you're not good for my daughter. Hazel told me that you were always by her side and how you refused to leave her. I never saw a man be so faithful to his lover."

I didn't reply because I was still shocked. Mrs. Adams was actually apologizing to me?

"I'd also like to thank you for taking care of my daughter. You were always by her side when I wasn't. You gave her the love she deserved and the love that I couldn't quite give. You made her happy, something I couldn't do." She sighed sadly, but she still shot me a grateful smile.

"Ummm, you're welcome?" I replied, kind of unsure to what had just happened.

She chuckled. "You're such a cute lad. I'm sorry again for judging you so quickly. Now, I'm off to visit my daughter."

With one last grateful smile, she entered Vanessa's room.

A smile made its way to my lips when I realized that Vanessa's mom just accepted me and approved of me for her daughter.