Chapter Sixteen

I felt so out of place.

We entered the venue and it was huge. Everyone looked classy and rich, I probably looked like a rag next to them. All of them faced our direction when we entered. Some were looking at me with distaste, some were looking at me curiously. I bowed my head, hoping that the ground could just swallow me in.

"What exactly is the event?" I muttered to Mason.

"It's a party for the 46th foundation day of our hotel," he explained. "My relatives organized this party and invited all their business partners."

Various of people greeted Mason as if they've been best friends forever while he just looked downright uncomfortable. He just nodded along to what the people were saying while I awkwardly stood by his side.

Some people even thought that we were together, telling us that we looked so cute. I doubt that we looked cute together though, since they were looking at me with distaste hidden in a bright fake smile.

I just thanked them and nodded along and continued standing awkwardly beside Mason. I didn't bother to correct them because I might say the wrong thing, which would only cause them to hate me more, so I simply stayed quiet.

"Grandson," his grandmother greeted, giving him a hug. Mason kissed her cheek as I offered her a smile.

She was wearing a beautiful, long dress. It was color peach and has long sleeves with rhinestones around the neck. She wore it with elegance and she didn't really look that old.

"And who's this young lady?" She asked, staring at me. It was awkward, being under her judging gaze. I stood straighter as she studied me from top to bottom with her steely eyes. From her look of distaste, I could tell that she didn't approve of me hanging around her grandson at all.

"She's Vanessa, my friend." Mason answered for me.

"Nice to meet you, ma'am." I said politely, offering my hand for her to shake. She smiled at me and shook my hand, though I could tell it was forced.

Someone took her attention away from us (thank God for that), so Mason took the chance and dragged me away to a table. As we sat down, I noticed a woman with pretty brown hair across me. She looked strikingly familiar.

"Why, hello there!" The lady greeted bubbly with a slur.

"Hi," I replied warily. Mason sighed deeply next to me.

"Ma, have you been drinking again?" he asked, shaking his head in disappointment. The lady simply giggled.

Oh. That was why she looked so familiar, she was Mason's mother!

She was wearing a long, mint green dress that showed off her body well. It was sleeveless and it only had one strap on her shoulder. She looked great in it, but there was something wrong.

Her eyes were bloodshot.

"Yup," she hiccuped, popping the p. She giggled manically again. Mason grumbled something under his breath and rubbed his temples.

"Didn't grandma tell you not to drink?"

"Bye bye," she waved before waltzing away from us. Mason sighed deeply again.

So this was the woman that hurt Mason so much. The reason he was sad and grumpy all his life. I haven't even had a full conversation with her and I strongly disliked her already. It was obvious the she was drunk as heck since she kept giggling and slurring her words. She barely couldn't even stand properly at all.

I was about to say something to enlighten the situation when a girl with black hair approached our table.

"Mason!" she greeted happily. Mason stood up and looked at her warily. The girl ignored his wary look and hugged him tightly as Mason awkwardly patted her back.