Chapter Fourteen

I was shocked. Completely and utterly shocked. How could this innocent, tired looking boy get through every single problem at a young age? I couldn't have bore the pain if I was him.

I now understood why he was grumpy all the time. I understood why he cuts, why he feels so damn useless. Why he hates himself and why he doesn't let anyone in.

Okay, so let me summarize his story. His sperm donor abandoned him when he was a baby, leaving his mom, who owns a five star hotel and a restaurant, to raise Mason up herself. He was teased a lot for having no dad but he didn't care since he has a loving mother. When he was ten, his sperm donor called and practically forced Mason's mom into meeting his son. His mom finally gave in and let him meet him, but only for a day.

He was shocked when he saw his father since his mom never showed him a photo of him. He was the older version of Mason, with his dark brown hair and same features except for the eyes. For some reason, his anger for his dad vanished. I guess it was because he was always longing for a father's love. They went to the carnival and had fun together, his father spoiling him with everything. He returned Mason at home safely and gave his mom a bouquet of flowers. The nerve of him, I know.

Mason begged his mom to give his dad another chance. Everyday, his dad would drop by and Mason and he would have fun and he also started courting Mason's mom again. After a while, his mom finally agreed. She completely fell in love with him again and they were one happy family. Only for a year and a half though.

Mason and his mom found his dad cheating with another woman. They caught them on the way home from school in his dad's car and he and the girl were both half naked.

A ten year old boy shouldn't have experienced that. That was too traumatizing.

They fought and fought and fought. His dad even had the nerve to be angry! Finally, his mom grew some balls and kicked him out of the house, but the misery doesn't end there.

They learned that his dad was cheating longer than they thought. It broke Mason's mom, resulting her into taking drugs and alcohol. Mason had to take responsibility of everything at a very young age just because of his mother's failure. And one day, she brought home an addict named Eric who was only there because they were rich. He was a horny bastard and a user. He was also a bad influence to Mason's mother, encouraging her to drink more and use drugs.

Mason talked to his mom but she would only snap at him or ignore him. He gave up because he just couldn't bring back his mom that he used to know and love. She was different now. Knowing that his mom doesn't love him anymore broke his heart and that resulting the brooding, rude boy right now.

He was never just rude.

He was broken.

"No one loves me, Vanessa! No one cares for me! I know that when I finally kill myself, no one would really give a crap. Why would I continue living when I have no purpose? I started to slit my wrists when I was fifteen and it felt so good. I couldn't stop. I'm so used to it that when I do it I wouldn't feel a thing!"

When.

"You will not kill yourself," I snapped, forcing him to look at me.

"Why? Who cares if I die?" He asked in a challenging voice as if he was very sure that no one cares about him.

"I care! I know Charles, Layla and your mom cares for you too! You're not alone, Mason. We care for you." I yelled at him in frustration, whispering him the last part softly.

"My mom? Hah, it's not the time to joke, Vanessa." He said, laughing a humorless laugh.

"Okay, fine. I'm not sure about your mom, but I'm sure for myself. I care for you, Mason. When will you realize that?" I told him truthfully, my voice slightly breaking. His face softened as he looked down at me.