Chapter Twenty Three

Seeing the cancer kids in the hospital, I wondered why life was so cruel.

Why do these sweet little angel need to get sick? Why do they need to suffer so much? What did they ever do in their short, innocent lives?

Life really was cruel.

As I walked to the children's hospital, I noticed that the population in the hospital was increasing. I saw a lot of new kids that I've never seen before. I saw a lot of new scared and confused faces, not really knowing what they were in here for. I saw a lot of kids with weak states but can still put a smile on their faces.

That was one thing I loved about the kids. Even though they were sick and their lives were in danger, they could still play with their toys and laugh. They could still smile and tease each other playfully despite nurses injecting them needles and making them drink numerous of medicines from time to time.

I greeted the new kids and played with them as they slowly started to warm up to me. I chatted with them, read them stories, played with them, and hung out with them. I loved being with them and making them happy.

I furrowed my eyebrows when I saw Joanna, Alyssa and Charlotte gathered around a chair holding ribbons and makeup. They were also giggling as they moved their hands around, pinning ribbons and applying makeup on something, or someone rather.

Joanna was the first one to notice me when I walked towards them. She was wearing a purple wig today, and it looked absolutely gorgeous on her. She grinned when she saw me and told her other friends to move aside, saying she wanted to show me something.

I burst out laughing when I saw Mason scowling with his dark brown hair tied up with colorful ribbons and his face caked with makeup. He actually reminded me of a clown because of how ridiculous his face looked considering that little girls did this. His mascara was smudged, his lipstick went over his lips messily, his blush on was too red on his cheeks and the powder on his face wasn't equal.

"Are you done?" he scowled, shooting me a glare. I continued laughing, putting my hand up to tell him to wait.

"You sure do look pretty, Mason." I wheezed. He continued to glare at me as the three girls beamed at me for complimenting their skills.

"Okay, I think Mason looks pretty enough now. You girls can stop." I said once I sobered up. They were about to put more ribbons and makeup on him so he looked extremely relieved when I stopped them from doing so. The girls pouted but put their stuff back in their little kit before looking for their next victim, skipping away.

I sneakily brought my phone out and took a sly picture of him with a scowl still on his face. His scowl deepened when he realized what I had done and made a move to grab my phone from me. I laughed and dodged away easily.

"I couldn't just not take a picture of that," I reasoned out innocently. He shot me a death a glare as he quickly unpinned the ribbons on his hair. Well, attempted to at least.

"How do you even take these damn things off?" he complained, trying to take a pink ribbon off and pulling his hair in process. I continued to laugh at him. This was absolutely priceless.

"Are you gonna help me or not?" he growled when I continued staring at him as I laughed.

"Nah, I'm good."

He shot me another glare, but that didn't even faze me. I was so used to his death glares that I don't flinch away from it like everybody else does.

After watching him helplessly attempt to pull the ribbons out, I decided to end his pain and just help him take the ribbons off. I easily unpinned the ribbons as he watched me with disbelief.