Chapter 2: Whitewater

If there was one thing I knew and didn't understand about Brynn, it was her habit of contradicting her words with her actions. I thought we had established that we were going to 'start over' and all I saw was her yearning to get closer. Don't get me wrong, I'd be an idiot to reject her affection; but I should've known her terms were only temporary. She liked to play it safe and hold back a lot.

I couldn't feel the transition from Friday to Saturday; it was just one lonnng day. Brynn had grabbed my hand and led me upstairs to her open bedroom. She lied under the covers and I laid over them right beside her; but I couldn't sleep. She definitely had changed from that 16 year old girl I had met on the beach that night. She gave me the certainty that I needed; the assurance of wanting me as much as I wanted her.

"So every time you come back to LA you have to stay with me." She demanded sweetly.

"I will, I promise." I said holding her by the waist. "You know I'm fully capable of sleeping beside you without pulling anything."

"I know. It's not YOU that I'm worried about." She blushed.

"Oh but that's okay, see I trust you." I laughed and kissed her forehead.

It didn't take long for her to fall asleep and I couldn't take my eyes off her. She looked like an angel and immediately I started festering thoughts on how I didn't deserve her. Yet here we were together again. Had we both matured enough to actually commit to this relationship this time? I had no doubt in my mind that I would give it my all. So I stayed up all night thinking on ways to make this work. I thought about working at another laboratory in Long Beach or teach classes on Biology at the university.

At the same time I wanted to be sure to never run into that girl, Alexis, ever again. Meaning I'd have to move back to Beverly Hills and not Long Beach. I wasn't happy about taking a step down in my career to resort to merely teaching. Working for NOAA had been the best experience of my life, but when it came to Brynn, I felt crazy enough to leave everything for her; just to prove how much I loved her.

Brynn wasn't aware of the small fortune made off of my little discovery in Alaska, so I knew financially I'd be set for years to come. She didn't know of the boat that I had bought and my plans to sail to Australia and visit my friend Ross who I worked with in Hawaii; I was supposed to join him for a seminar. I had many plans, but how could I pursue them without it costing our relationship? There had to be a way to have both. Yet she too had so much going for her here with her career taking off as well.

I just couldn't sleep.

3:15am...

4:46am...

6:32am...

I decided to make some coffee. I went down stairs and took a quick leak. Forgetting I had left my briefcase in my car, I snuck out to grab it. I stationed myself on her dining room table as quietly as I could. Searching for my glasses I then began computing the numbers and making the searches for positions I was highly over qualified for...but this was all for Brynn.

I couldn't understand why it was so cold in her apartment and unfortunately I didn't have any thick clothes. So I looked around and grabbed the first thing I found which happened to be a leopard print blanket thrown over the couch...I thought it was safe to say there weren't any cameras around. I drank my black coffee while I kept sending out resumes and emails. This was going to happen.

I heard someone groaning upstairs and knew that my Brynn had woken up. The messy haired girl peeked over the rail as she dragged her body down the stairs. I kept smiling as I wasn't given too many chances to see her like this. Did she look adorable narrowing her eyes away from the light? Did her hair have a wild sensuality from wrestling with the pillow and sheets? And did I die a little when her smile grew the closer she got to me? Yes. Yes. Yes.