Chapter 1: We Can't be Friends

We were driving back in my car; palms sweaty upon the steering wheel. After all this time, I finally had what I wanted. Sitting beside me in the passenger seat, looking casually out the window; she'd never know how long I waited for her call. I tried to show the same 'casualness' but I was crazy about her. I knew it from the very moment we had met till our first kiss...man! I now had another shot at this. And I'll be damned if I was going to mess it up again.

I almost believed I would never see Brynn again. The decision seemed final from the way she said goodbye. I submerged myself in my work and studies to numb the pain of losing her; because I lost her to him. But the minute I heard the sound of her voice on my phone, I dropped everything and ran to my car; I ran straight to Canada.

I drove up to the hotel entrance. We had barely spent 2 hours together and although I wanted more I didn't want to impose. It started raining which meant she'd have to decide what she wanted to do and fast. We were pretty quiet, yet there was so much I wanted to say. These first few hours were still so raw; I feared anything stupid that I might say would cause her to change her mind.

"It was nice to see you again Aaron. I hope next time, its sooner than a year." She smiled with her big doe eyes.

I didn't know how to classify this type of awkwardness. I mean it didn't feel like a first date, or even when you first meet the person you end up liking; we were past that. No this was in a category all on its own. Because how do you categorize our history? I knew what I wanted now, but maybe she was unsure this time. Otherwise she would've wanted to spend more time with me.

"That would be much better." I smiled back.

I popped open the trunk to get my umbrella. Once I opened it and the side of her door, I caught her pleasantly surprised smirk. I had all the impact from the rain but I didn't care. After I walked her over to dry ground I gave her a short longing smile. She reciprocated the same stare, but I needed certainty. If she wasn't willing to open up just yet, that's fine. I've waited this long, what's a couple more months. The important factor was that she called and wanted to see me.

I walked back to my car not before giving a small wave goodbye. I was about to keep on driving once I passed the light, but I felt something pull me back. Should I not have remained as quiet and been my normal and 'forward' self. I was so focused on not messing things up, perhaps my downfall. I aligned to the right side of the street, with a desperate urge to make a U turn. I tapped on the wheel, drum rolling to help motivate myself. And then my phone rang.

"Hey." I said caught off guard.

"Hi, I'm sorry are you too far to come back?"

"No not really. Why, did you forget something at the aquarium?" I was actually less than two minutes away.

"Umm, no…I wanted to ask you, if you weren't in a rush to head back that is, would you like to have a cup of coffee with me here at the hotel. If you can't, I understand. "

I threw my head back in relief. "I would love to have a cup of coffee with you."

I continued with my plan and stepped inside the hotel within minutes. My shirt was a little damp and I wasn't really interested in coffee but the sight of Brynn looking for me with her phone in her hand was a good sign.

"Now when you said "sooner than a year", I was expecting maybe a week or a month not 10 minutes." I grinned.

She blushed; it wasn't hard to get her to do that. "I wanted to ask you sooner…I just couldn't." She shrugged.

"It's okay. It's nice to see I still have that effect on you." I laughed quietly while tucking my hair back.

"Ugh! Let's just get some coffee." She hid her smile but I could always tell.