Chapter Eight

“Tori!” Tori turned around to see Beck coming towards her with a confused look on his face. He almost tripped over two couples who refused to get out of his way. “Did you see where Jade went?” Tori swallowed hard, her brain still fuzzy from the dance and Jade’s scent.

“Um, she-she’s waiting for me at the car,” Tori said shaking her head slightly. Beck frowned.

“Are you alright? You look a little… out of it. Did you have any of the alcohol?” Tori shook her head.

“Of course I didn’t,” she retorted.

“You wouldn’t have liked it anyway, it was pretty bad. I want to talk to Jade. Do you think she’ll listen?” Tori bit her lip and hesitated. She didn’t want Beck to talk to Jade and really thinking about it, it was because she didn’t want the two to make up. That thought made her feel guilty and she swallowed the emotion quickly.

“I-I’m not really sure if that’s a good idea.”

“Why not? She’s my girlfriend and I’m sick of arguing with her,” Beck said slightly heatedly. The music that was pounding throughout the building was giving Tori a headache and all she wanted to do was go home. Preferably with Jade.

“You guys argue all the time, don’t you think that maybe… maybe it’s time to move on?” Tori asked sheepishly. Beck stared at her.

“Are-are you serious? Why would you say that? You’re the one who always helps us through our differences!” Beck exclaimed. Tori shook her head quickly.

“No-no-no, I didn’t mean it like that-” Tori threw her hands up in exasperation. “Look, just come with me to the car.” Tori turned around and stormed out of the house, leaving the pounding music behind. The cool night air cleared her head and she immediately felt better. The fact that she was bringing Beck along with her to Jade was suddenly dawning on her that that might not be such a good idea. As they got closer to the car, Tori saw the dark figure of Jade leaning against the car door. She had a cigarette in her hand and was taking long drags from it. Tori mentally cringed at the sight, knowing that Jade’s lungs would be taking the blunt of the toxins.

“Babe!” Beck called from behind her and Tori frowned at the pet name. It just sounded so wrong coming from Beck’s lips. Jade turned around, grounded out her cigarette and scowled so fiercely that Tori stopped walking for a second. Jade’s face was illuminated by the street lights and she looked so beautiful Tori could barely breathe. Sudden jealousy washed over her. It wasn’t fair. Why did Beck get a girl like Jade? It should be her calling Jade ‘babe!’

“Vega, why did you bring Beck?” Her voice was low and had a hint of menace underlying it. Tori swallowed, feeling butterflies explode in her body. For some bizarre reason, desire curled in her stomach and all she wanted to do was attack the raven haired beauty’s lips.

“Uhm, I, uh-” Tori stammered unable to look away from her dark eyes.

“We need to talk, Jade,” Beck cut in. Jade sighed loudly and walked closer towards Tori and Beck, stepping further into the street lamps.

“What is there to talk about?” Jade’s voice sounded resigned. Like she didn’t care anymore. Tori resisted the urge to wrap her arms around the girl.

“The fact that maybe, we argue all the time, I haven’t kissed you in weeks and you're avoiding me!” Beck’s voice broke and Tori felt her heart break.

“I’m not happy with our relationship,” Jade said bluntly. Beck made strange noises in the back of his throat as his brain registered this. Tori’s own brain was struggling to register this. Granted, Jade and Beck have broken up many times and gotten back together, but this time… this time it seemed… final.