21: Starting Fresh

"It's almost midnight," I noted, looking at the grandfather clock.

"We should get upstairs," Ben suggested.

I nodded and we got up and climbed up the stairs. Everyone was in the large formal living room, crowded around the huge big screen TV that took over one wall. People had drinks in their hands and eager smiles on their faces. Couples had their arms around each other. Teens were eyeing each other mischieviously. In random corners of the house, there were little children, half asleep due to exhaustion from running around all night.

"Where's Aiden?" Ben asked me.  My thoughts floated upstairs to where Aiden no doubt was sitting on his bed alone. And then my mind flashed back to earlier that evening when he had gotten so close to kissing me. Then Ben's words about Aiden came back to me.

I knew what I had to do. I knew what I wanted to do.

"Ben, I'm going to go upstairs for a bit," I said suddenly. He looked at me knowingly and pulled me into a light embrace. 

"Be careful, Ren," he whispered. I pulled away and pecked him on the cheek.

"Happy New Year, Ben," I replied. He smiled at me and I turned to walk upstairs. As I was half-way up, I heard chanting. The countdown had begun.

"10, 9, 8..." the people downstairs were saying.

I took the stairs two at a time and rushed to Aiden's bedroom door.

"7, 6, 5..." they were saying.

I could feel my heart pounding as my hand twisted the door knob and opened the door.

"4, 3, 2.." they chanted.

I opened the door and there he was. Standing on his balcony, illuminated by the light from the moon and stars. I walked briskly up to him and he turned.

"1!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!" people below us shouted.

Shouts erupted from the other houses in our vicinity. It was officially the new year.

"Renee--" Aiden began, but I cut him off, my lips crashing down on his.

He was surprised at first--as was I--but then responded eagerly. He placed one of his hands on the small of my back and the other cupped my face. I put both my arms around his neck, closing the space between us. When we pulled away, we were breathless.

"What--?" he asked, his eyes dazzled.

"Happy New Year, Aiden," I whispered. He smiled brilliantly at me and I felt strong enough and sure enough to return it. He traced my lips with his fingertip.

"You smiled," he whispered.

"I did," I replied. He laughed and leaned down and kissed my lips again. We pulled away after a few moments, our eyes sparkling like the stars in the clear, winter sky.

"Let's go inside," he suggested, noting that I was shivering in the below freezing air. We went back into the warmth of his bedroom, closing the balcony doors behind us. I sighed and turned to face him. He placed his arms around my waist, pulling me closer to him.

"Are you sure about this?" he asked.

"I'm almost 100% sure," I replied.

"Almost?" he asked, quirking an eyebrow at me.

"It's been an emotional evening. My brain is in a couple different places right now," I told him. He chuckled and reached out to brush my hair out of my face.

"I'm 100% sure about this," he said quietly.

"Yeah?" I asked. He nodded.

"I have been for a while now," he replied. "I just didn't think it'd happen this quickly," he added.