3: Teacher's Pet

I woke up early the next day at around 7 in the morning.

I got dressed in my uniform: a navy blazer with golden buttons, a red and black plaid skirt, and a plain white collared shirt. I added a pair of navy blue knee high socks and put a pair of Converse on my feet. Then I walked out the door and made my way to Rosestone Elementary.

I got an extra key to my brother's room from Janet, who greeted me cheerily despite the early hours. I made my way up to his floor and then went to his door. I leaned my ear against the door to listen if the boys were awake yet. It was almost 8 and classes started in a half hour, so they had to be awake now. I could hear rustling and some chatter behind the door, so I stuck my key in and opened up the door.

Sure enough, Nick and Garrett were scrambling around, pulling on their uniforms. They were both dressed and pulling their shoes on when I walked in.

"Renee! Hi!" Nick cried, running his hand through his shiny red hair. I smiled softly at him.

"Hi, Nick," I replied. "Where's Mikey?" I asked, looking around the room for my brother.

"He locked himself in the bathroom," Garret replied, pointing at the door with his thumb. My mouth opened slightly and I went to the bathroom door.

"Mikey! It's me! Renee!" I called.

"Go away!" he yelled back. I furrowed my brow worriedly. He sounded like he was crying.

"Mikey! Please! Open the door! It's Ren!" I called back, jiggling the door handle a bit. Garret was right; he had locked the door.

"What happened?" I asked, turning towards the other boys, my hand still on the handle of the bathroom door.

"Well, we woke him up so that he could get dressed and then he tried to button up his shirt and couldn't do it so he got upset and locked himself in the bathroom," Nick explained casually, the same goofy expression on his face. I frowned and knocked on the door again.

"Mikey! Please open the door! I'm here now! I can help you!" I called.

"Go away!" he yelled again.

"Mikey! You're going to be late for school!" I said.

"I don't care!" he whimpered. I was beginning to get frustrated.

"Mikey, if you don't open the door right now, I'm going to start crying and you don't want to upset me, do you?" I fake-threatened.

There was silence from the other side and I knew I had broken him. He hated it when I cried. Whenever he wasn't cooperating, I would always pretend to get upset and bury my face in my hands. Then he would stop doing whatever he was doing and hug me and apologize. I guess he just cared about me, just like I cared for him.

The door opened to reveal a half-dressed Mike with a blotchy face. I pulled a pity smile and squatted in front of him.

"I thought we were going to be brave?" I asked him. He sniffled and wiped his nose with his hand.

"I don't want to go to this school," he whimpered. I bit my lip and pulled him into a hug. He broke into great, heaving sobs against me and I felt myself start to lose control myself. I took a few deep breaths to steady my emotions before pulling him away. I wiped the tears off his face with my fingers and gave him a stern look.

"Mikey. You told me you were a big boy," I said to him.

"I am," he croaked, still sniffling.

"Really?" I asked. He nodded vigorously. "Hey Nick! Do big boys cry?" I asked, still looking at Mike.