11: First Snowfall

"I," Mr. Len started, "am going to give you guys an extension on your finals."

The class piped up with whispers and questions.

"Ok, ok. I know, I know. Some of you are super stoked about this because you haven't even started on your final project yet. And then the rest of you are bummed out because you've been working really hard on your finals. But I'm giving all you slackers some more time and I'm giving all you over-achievers a chance to make your projects kick ass," he explained.

"So instead of having your final project due at the end of this week, it will be due at the beginning of next semester when we reconvene. I'll give you a week after we get back, so it will be due maybe January 11-ish?" he suggested. "Sound good?" he asked. The class let out a collective sound of agreement. "Great! Let's move on now for what I had planned for today--" he began. Aiden raised his hand.

"Yes, Aiden? What's your problem?" Mr. Len asked.

"Why'd you change the date?" Aiden questioned. We all nodded and looked at Mr. Len for an answer.

"You want me to lie or give you the truth?" he asked.

"We'd like the truth," Aiden answered.

"Very well, then," Mr. Len sighed. "The reason I changed the date was because I won a free trip to Hawaii for the break and my flight leaves the day of your original final," he explained. We looked at him incredulously.

"Len!" a girl named Hazel shouted.

"You're ditching us to go to Hawaii?!" Joseph exclaimed.

"It's a once in a lifetime opportunity," Mr. Len explained. We all glared at him. "Look, I'd take you all with me if I could, but I only got two tickets. One's for me and the other's for my girlfriend, so..." he trailed off.

"Thanks a lot, Len," Aiden grumbled.

"Way to be happy for me, kids," Mr. Len said. We all began talking at once before he settled us down.

"All right, all right. Next time I win a trip from a radio station I'll be sure to tell them give me extra tickets for sixteen other students," Mr. Len said sarcastically. "But seriously, moving on now," he said.

"I was thinking that since it's right before the holidays and it's the beginning of finals week, we should go around and lighten up everyone's mood with some Christmas carols," he said. He pulled out a stack of music sheets and passed them around to all the students. "What we're going to do is walk around the school with these sheets and sing carols in the hallways. We'll occasionally stop in a classroom that I've already picked out," he explained.

"Won't we bother people?" Kyle asked.

"Who can be bothered by Christmas carols?" Mr. Len retorted.

"Ummm, me. I work at the mall and have to listen to this crap everyday," Juliet said.

"Well, you're a pessimist anyway, so what's new?" Mr. Len replied.

"That's also true," Juliet agreed nodding. Mr. Len smirked and then looked around at us.

"All right! Let's get crackin' class!" he said, waving his arms. We all reluctantly got up, less than thrilled about this idea.

"You want to lead?" Mr. Len asked me, falling in step with me. I shook my head silently and looked to the ground. I felt his gaze linger on me before he moved ahead to lead the class. I felt an arm brush against mine and looked up to see Aiden, who gave me a small smile. I wished that I could return it, but I couldn't.

"Let's start with 'Let it Snow'," Mr. Len announced as we walked towards the stairs. We pulled out our sheet music and began.

Mr. Len walked in front of us, conducting and directing our voices so we harmonized and sounded like angels singing music. Teachers and administrators would stop walking as they saw us and would stand off to the side to listen. They all had smiles on their faces, which lit up the otherwise gloomy hallways.